Chapter 3 - [Feelings]

I sat at my desk, trying to study for my last exam for the year, but instead I found myself pondering the fact that I was almost always tired these days. As my mind wandered, I felt warmth at my fingertips. Using the warmth of Saphryns Vahri to calm myself down had become a sort of habit. It always worked, though it was kind of distracting.

Two months had passed since my grandmothers birthday and there was still no sign of her.

It was summer now, and since i nearly bombed my courses last year, I had to use two months of my summer to bring my GBA back up. Though it sucked to be in school in the summer, I was almost done. My last exam was tonight.

After spending the rest of the day studying for my exam in my apartment, I packed up my things around four pm and left. My exam was at four-thirty, so thirty minutes would be more than enough time for me to get there.

At six-thirty, my exam was done, and when I left the exam center, Ren was waiting for me.

We had planned to go to the mall together after my exam and as promised, he was there perfectly on time.

Ren had apologized profusely for his "uncalled for" behaviour two months prior. And of course, I forgave him. I loved Ren... we had been friends since we were kids and I didn't want to lose him.

He said his words came from a place of worry, and I believed him. I knew he cared about me.

Though, we didn't discuss the kiss attempt.

And I was glad.

So as promised, Ren and I went to the mall so I could buy a couple of books and a dress for Lilibeths birthday party which was coming up.

We grabbed something light to eat at the mall before heading out and as we walked back towards my apartment, I felt good. The exam went well, Ren was being normal and I was able to buy three new books that I had been dying to read for months. Today was a good day.

"Why didn't you just buy the books earlier," Ren asked, watching as I flipped through the books.

"Because of school, you idiot," I said. "I couldn't risk getting distracted."

He laughed. "You're the only person I know who gets so worked up about books."

I was going to tell him that he needs to get out more because there were so many of us, but before I could, I paused, feeling the air change.

The air suddenly became chilly, causing my skin to be covered in goosebumps. That was a little odd, seeing as the weather was so warm only moments ago, and I was sweating, despite wearing a dress.

However, as I looked over at Ren to ask him how weird that was, I noticed the sweat on his forehead as he rolled his already short sleeves all the way up. "Damn... if it's this hot now, imagine how hot it's going to be when mid-summer hits?"

I looked straight ahead, a little shocked.

I was cold.

I hugged myself, trying to rub the goosebumps away, but as I touched my own skin, I realized what was wrong.

It wasn't getting colder... I was getting hotter.

Without thinking, I took Ren's hand and placed it on the uppermost part of my arm. He flinched, pulling away for a moment before touching me again. "Nyla... you're burning up."

"Weird, right?"

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah... I think."

Ren reached up, possibly to touch my forehead, but before his fingers reached me, there was a huge, loud blast.

Everyone heard it.