Chapter 1 - [Kid No More]

"Hello?! Nyla? I've been talking to you for thirty minutes... are you listening?"

I blinked, looking over at Ren. "Sorry, what?"

He rolled his eyes, leaning back in his chair and crossing his arms. "Are you serious?"

I sighed, pushing my hair behind my ear. "I'm sorry Ren... I've just been... preoccupied."

"The talk to me. Tell me what's wrong," he urged. "You've been gloomy for the past few days and I asked you to come out to make you feel better... but you aren't even talking to me."

I wanted to roll my eyes but didn't, knowing that he only meant well. But honestly, I didn't want to talk. I just wanted to be alone.

Or maybe with my dad–

"C'mon," he leaned forward, taking my hands in his. "Talk to me."

I sighed. Fine. "It's my grandmother's birthday today."

His face changed.

You thought you could handle my problems? Ha. Think again.

He kept a tight grip on my hands, but as expected, he had nothing worthwhile to say.

Two years had passed since Vairyn threw me through the mirror and then destroyed it. The immediate aftermath was simply chaos.

As much as I was worried about not seeing Saphryn again, my primary concern was my grandmother. After spending hours trying to find a way to get through the mirror, I realized it was hopeless, and then I took my grandmother's car and drove home crying. When I got home, I tried to explain to my parents what had happened, but all I could conjure up was "she's gone and can't come back."

Of course, this led to pandemonium.

My father, who adored his mother, began frantically searching for her, though, might I add, he was happy that she was 'just' missing, seeing as he initially thought I meant she was dead.

This went on for days.

Then my parents called the police. Of course, they were no help, and all they could do for us was list her as missing.

It broke my heart to not be able to tell them the truth. I mean, how could I? Besides, how could I really even know if she was safe? And how could I confuse them even more?

More than ever, I wished my grandfather was alive... he knew everything about her... so he probably would have known what to do. But he was dead... and now, two years later, everyone was beginning to think my grandma was too.

As the months passed, I started university and nearly bombed my first year. How could you blame me, though? It was more than just difficult to get back into the normal swing of things. I mean, I went from fighting magic-wielding humans and dealing with royalty drama to trying to memorize the names of all of the bones in a human wrist. How could I possibly focus?

Oh right, I had a total career shift as well.

For the longest time, I wanted to maybe be a teacher. Now I wanted to become a nurse. Why? Well, as a nurse, I could help Saphryn. Sure, I may never see him again, but just in case, warriors needed nurses by their side to treat them when they were injured, right? With the knowledge of a nurse, I could be useful. I could finally be helpful to Saphryn.

Saphryn.

In the beginning, Saphryn was always on my mind. I was worried sick and I missed him.

Had he sorted things out with Vairyn?

Had he come to terms with who his father really was?

And how was everything with Avarius?

And... was he smiling?