Chapter 20 - [Already Alone]

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVE EVERYONE!

Please enjoy this upload! I'm gonna try my best to upload again this week as a Christmas present to you all :P!

Happy Holidays!!! And don't forget to vote and comment.

Love,
Thannujah

---

Saphryn and Vairyn stared at each other, while the others stared at them. There was a tension that I had never sensed between the boys before. Usually, despite their somewhat awkward relationship, the two seemed close.

But right now, Saphryn seemed both annoyed and upset.

I had come to believe that this was not the first time that Variyn has kept something from his little brother. I mean, I don't think Saphryn would be so annoyed if this was the first time. And I don't think Vairyn would have looked so nervous if this was the first time.

"You're wasting time, Vairyn," Saphryn said. "Just say it."

I could tell from the look on his face that he wanted to say it. He wanted to tell Saphryn, whatever it was, but he was trying to figure out the right way to say it. Obviously this was something serious and something that was going to upset Saphryn.

Saphryn could tell too.

Which, of course, made him more antsy.

I turned to Midina, who watched the boys carefully. "Do you know..." I started, in a low whisper.

She looked at me with a look of concern, but then nodded.

When I looked back at Saphryn, I saw him step forward. "Well, out with it!" He shouted at his brother.

"Saph... now is not the time–"

"What the hell happened to my city?"

Everyone except Saphryn turned around to see the super annoyed and angry looking King Arya. She was followed closely by many of her men, including Saphryn's teacher, all of whom looked horrified by what they saw.

"Go," Arya hissed at her men. "Go help with the clean up."

Everyone except Lord Kyshan vanished.

"What is going on here?" She shouted. I couldn't help but notice the cuts on her face and the tears in her clothes. "Why are you all standing here while my city is blackened by fire?"

Lady Iva, who looked exceptionally relieved, sighed. "Thank goodness you have returned."

"Thank goodness indeed!" The beautiful but frightening woman scoffed. "Saphryn!"

He didn't turn. He just looked at Vairyn, who seemed to be looking for help from King Arya... at least, that's what his face seemed to suggest.

King Arya seemed to get what was going on almost instantly. In fact, her look of annoyance and frustration seemed to vanish almost instantly. She let out a breath before mumbling, "that goddamn king." She then took a few steps forward until she reached Saphryn and put a hand on his shoulder.

Her heeled boots made it look like she was taller than him, but something about the way she looked at him made me really understand when people said that she cared for him like a son, and he suddenly looked more smaller next to her.

"Go ahead, tell him," she said, turning to Vairyn. "I never thought it should be kept from him to begin with."

Vairyn seemed to had hoped she would say something else.