Saving grace

He knew he shouldn't have been walking the streets so late at night.
But his friends had left him, he had no other way to get home.
It was unusually chilly.
He warped his arms around his thin chest in a sad attempt to block the cold.
It didn't help much.
His arms were bare and his shirt thin.
He walked as fast as he could.
He broke out into a run when he heard footsteps behind him.
His house wasn't that fair away now.
He silently prayed it was his friends playing a joke on the fragile little boy...
But he doubted it.
His heart was slamming against his ribs so hard it ached.
His lungs burned and his muscles pulled,  heavy with the unfamiliarity of running like this.
It was not his imagination.
He was being chased.

The rushing steps grew closer.
He hadn't dared to look back.
the corner he was to turn to get home was in front of him.
His hand reached out to snag the edge of the building for him to make the sharp right, that will lead him to the well lit street.

He felt something solid as metal and cold as ice grab at his ankle.
He went down without time to make another thought.
His head hit the pavement, he heard the loud unsettling Crack before he blacked out .

The first thing he felt was the immense pain in his head.
It throbbed and ached in his skull.
He could fell his dark red hair sticking to his head matted with blood.
He wasn't even sure why he was alive.
He hoped this wasn't death.
There was too much pain.

"Finally coming around? "
A low voice asked him.

Jumping into a sitting position wasn't the smartest idea. The throbbing pain in his head grew, making him groan.
Lowering his face into the palm of his hands, hoping it will ease the pain.
Taking steady breaths, allowing his other sense to kick in " w-who.. are you? "

There was silence for a moment, like the person was debating how much he needed to know.

"I'm the guy who just saved your ass"

Something cold pressed against the knot on his head

He screamed,  the raw wound was aching and a hot flash of pain stabbed through it as the ice pack was placed onto it.

"She was going to eat you, she's been stalking you for weeks '

any type of movement made the pain in his head worden.
Remaining in the same position as before the redhead spoke " eat me?... What the hell..." He muttered out hand being brought up to hold the ice pack in place. " I would have noticed someone following me... I think "

The owner of the low voice stepped in front of him.
The first thing he noticed was angry pink eyes boring into him.
They were as light as cherry blossom.
His hair was left hanging halfway into his face.
As dark as night, darker still against the pale skin.
He frowned down at the boy with exhaustion
He couldn't have been far from his age.
"What's your name you little idoit?"
He couldn't speak right away.
The tall boy was clad in a long black coat, black jeans, and strapped down with weapons.

" Ryland.... My name is Ryland... " His voice low. lifting his head just enough to see the other with out them having to lean down " Who.. are you? " Ryland asked once again.

The tall boy laughed but it was dry and humorless.
" I am Uriel, I hunt monser's like the one that is after you, I will stay around you until I can kill it,  then I will leave, for now, if I leave, you die"

Ryland stared at Uriel for a moment, before giving a small nervous laugh " ..... That's funny... Did one of my friends put you up to this? " The hope for it to be all just a prank clear in his voice.

His chin was gripped roughly and his head was yanked up so those cold pink eyes could sober him.
"Listen to me, you are not a child,  and if you keep acting like this I will let that thing eat you, this is not a prank, you can and will die if I do not help you"