Chapter 24

"Merlin's beard, Tom!" yelped Slughorn. "Seven! Isn't it bad enough to think of killing one person? And in any case... bad enough to divide the soul... but to rip it into seven pieces..."
HP6

~~~~~~~

The train was flying through the English fields.
Evelyn observed her boyfriend, trying to spot every little difference from the boy he was used to be before being a murderer.
He just looked innocent and gentle. And damned gorgeous.
Only she knew that a murderer was going straight to Hogwarts. The Knights already greeted them with flattering speeches, but Tom wanted to stay in a compartment only with her.
Evelyn glanced at his gold and black ring. He made her wear it only one, then he possessively wore it as a part of him. The ring and the notebook.
Evelyn turned her head to look out the window, letting him scribble on his diary.
After their rough reunion in the Leaky Cauldron, she took all his letters and opened them, drowning in those poetic, sweet words, no matter if they were only lies.
In those latest weeks he acted like a normal boy. He visited her in the shop every day, taking her to dinner, then they went shopping together for the school equipment. Sometimes she agreed to spend the night together.
That routine made her slowly forget about his crimes, or at least she didn't give them anymore the importance she was used to do when he first told her.
It was past and she wanted to live a new chapter. She just promised herself to keep an eye on him so he wouldn't kill anyone again.
She looked back at Tom. He was growing more handsome. That was the only difference she could notice. But it was also his will to take care of his look for her, so she would lose her mind every time she laid her eyes on him.
Tom raised his eyes catching her shooking her head, but before they could argue about it, they were called to a reunion for the prefects.

Evelyn scanned the new prefects, sometimes agreeing and sometimes disagreeing with the choices.
Everything went smoothly. They reached Hogwarts, the prefects led the students to the castle, they dined. It was all ordinary.
No matter if few months earlier a student died, the half giant was expelled and later Tom secretly murdered his muggle family.
Life was moving on. And Evelyn agreed that she had to move on too.
She glanced at Tom, who was eating normally like any other student. Sensing her staring, he smiled at her. And Evelyn complimented herself for making the right choice. She couldn't have survived if she definitely broke with him and allowed him to get another girlfriend.

They planned again to get the same courses, they constantly had patrolling shifts together and had their secret hours together in the Room of Requirements.
Tom never spoke again about marriage and having children. He didn't even mention making his horcrux, although she had made him swear that he would tell her when he was going to do that.
She understood that he didn't want to break the balance they gained for their relationship. And she was doing the same.

"You're lucky your relationship is lasting so long" Adele commented after updating about her recent unsuccessful affairs "Since you two started to date, I had a dozen of stories and none of them worked out for more than a couple of weeks".
"We had bad times too. To be honest, I don't even know how we can still be together" Evelyn confessed staring at the ceiling of their room.
"Because you are the perfect match" Adele smiled genuinely "I wonder if I'll ever find someone who can be the right match for me".
"I'm sure you will" Evelyn smiled back at her "You deserves the best man".
Adele scoffed, then turned to her with a serious face "Just to warn you, keep an eye on Tom. There's someone who has a bad crush on him and wants to take him away from you".
"Who?" Evelyn asked feeling not much troubled.
"The younger Slytherin prefect".
Evelyn has in mind the Black girl who happened to become the new Slytherin prefect girl and that pushed her to openly fall head over heels for the most handsome prefect in the school.

Adele's warning turned into a clear danger day by day.
Walburga Black was growing obstinate and insolent. She found every excuse to stick around Tom.
On the other hand Tom was focusing on his studies, but his mood started to swing out of his control.
And Evelyn was slowly losing her head.