{39} Ruka Becomes A Spy, Joining Team Taka

It was morning and Ruka was summoned by Tsuande first thing. Ruka stood in front of Tsunade's desk and explained to her about the letter she sent out to her last night. She also told him about Sai getting close to her again. 

"Again? That boy is really striking up a nerve." A vein grows on Tsunade's head while growling underneath her breath. "Anyway, you want to find Sasuke on your and be our little spy?" 

"If it is not too much trouble. I would like to do so." Ruka replies while nodding her head. "I will have Basil come back and forth, or perhaps you could summon her while there is a note attached to her. I will send a letter that will have the last location and about our conversations." 

"As helpful as this sounds, but this is a bit dangerous for you, Ruka. You're still in recovery and your memories haven't came back yet. And not to mention, the Akatsuki are still out there. What if you run into them and they might take you back? What will you do then?" 

"I will think of something. They might be thinking that I am still on their side, considering I have beeen with them for 2 years. They do not know about my memories returning to me. They still think that they are altered."  

Tsunade sighs and rubs her temples. "Are you sure you want to go through with this? Naruto isn't going to like this idea of yours. He cares a lot about you and wants nothing more than to keep you safe." 

"Yes, and I understand that. But I need to stop relying on him so much and do things on my own so that I can become strong. If I keep relying on him, how will I become strong like him? I will only be a burden to him." Ruka frowns at the last part of her sentence, making Tsunade blink, then smile. 

"He doesn't see you as a burden at all, Ruka. I can't believe you think that way about yourself." Tsunade chuckles. "If anything, all can Naruto talk about is you. You two are like two peas in a pot." 

"Huh?" Ruka blinks and Tsunade chuckles. In time, Ruka was going to understand it sooner or later. But now isn't the time. 

"Well, if this is what you request, then I will have to say go ahead. Just send word every once in a while. I will send a hawk on to where you are. Understand?" 

"Yes, Ma'am. Thank you." Ruka bows her head. 

"Good. Now go get ready." 

"Hai!" Ruka runs out the office and gets ready for her mission. She grabs a white cloak, a few scrolls, and weapons. Kakashi escorted Ruka to the village gates to send her on her way. 

"This is a rather dangerous mission you've requested, Ruka. Are you sure you can handle it? I mean, what if something happens?" Kakashi says while walking beside his student with his hands in his pockets. 

"This is something I must do on my own. And if something were to happen, I will escape and come straight back here as fast as possible. I want to remember and learn about Sasuke from back then and the way he is now. My memories of him have faded, but not all of them. So, this could be my only chance before giving up on him.

At first, I did not want to meet with Sasuke or learn anything about him, but after seeing him in person and seeing how dear he is to Naruto and Sakura, I thought to myself, I should do the same." 

"That's very thoughtful of you, but it's still dangerous." 

"Do not worry. I will be okay." Ruka smiles at her sensei as they reach the gate. "I am off. Please take care, Kakashi." 

"You too, Ruka." 

Ruka gives Kakashi one last time before pulling her hood over her head and being on her way. After walking a few miles away from the village, she summons Basil and gives her something that belonged to Sasuke, that she found in his house when she use to live there.

After Basil sniffed the belonging of Sasuke, she got his scent and led the way. Ruka followed close behind until she reached the hideout of Orochimaru. But when she got there, there was nobody but a large snake bleeding out on the floor. 

It scared Ruka, but not too much. "What. . .is that?" She questioned. Basil walked over to it and sniffed it, then replied, 

"It is the snake, Milady. Orochimaru." 

"He is. . .dead?" 

"Seems that way, and there's nobody else here in the hideout. It's empty. Sasuke isn't here. But I still have his scent." 

"Michi o susunde kudasai." {Please lead the way.} 

"As you wish, Milady." Basil nods and continues to the way to find Sasuke. It takes them hours to locate Sasuke, but how the tables turn when Sasuke finds Ruka. 

He spotted her walking through a dried-up field with Basil beside her. "Ruka." Sasuke called out to her, making her stop walking. 

She slowly turned around and took off her head. "Sasuke." She blinks when she sees two other people with him. 

Karin and Suigetsu. 

"You know her, Sasuke?" Suigetsu questioned. Sasuke refused to answer Suigetsu and walks up to Ruka, then pulling her into his chest. Ruka blinked at his behavior as he stroked the back of her hair. He figured she was scared because of the way she flinched when she heard her name being called, thinking it was an enemy. 

"What are you doing out here? It's dangerous." He whispers to her. 

"I. . . I wanted to come see you." Ruka answers and pulls away from his embrace. 

"To see me?" He cocked an eyebrow. 

"I hope that is alright with you. I left the leaf village to come see you. It is stupid, I know, but. . ." She trailed off, not knowing what else to say other than her real mission here. "I want to remember the person you once were. . ." 

"It's still me, Ruka." Sasuke brings his hand up to Ruka's cheek and cups it. "I never stopped caring and thinking about you." This made Ruka smile and hold Sasuke's hand. "Just stay by my side and I will protect you. Understand?" 

"Hai!" Ruka responded in a cheer. 

"Cool. We got another girl on team, and this one is a cutie. Way better than Karin" Suigetsu smirks. 

"Why, you!" Karin punches Suigetsu in the face, which basically turns into water. "Shut it!" 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~