“You are really out of your element today, what did you take?” Emery teased.

‘Bitch I am your true conscience. But I guess the tequila is now kicking in.’

Emery burst into laughter. “You know what, let me call you back. I'm pulling up at his place to pick up Jae.”

‘Alright. But we have a lot of catching up to do when I get back.’

“See you guys tomorrow. Say hi to Chris for me.”

‘Sure. A thousand kisses to my little muffin. Love you boo!’

“Love you too, my great conscience.”

Once Emery pulled into the parking lot of the complex, she laxed back in her seat for a second to put her rising thoughts in place.

Seeing as they had not made any weekend visitation plans, it felt a bit awkward to just waltz in and out. It might seem as if he was being reduced to the role of a second parent who was only there to render a helping hand.

But guess they would have to come up with something when he voices the need for a weekend visitation. Emery pried off her seatbelt and stepped out of the car, locking it after her.

Lost in her thoughts, she forgot to take off her rings as she always does after work.

· · • • • ✤ • • • · ·

Miles had a whole new level of appreciation for parents, especially his own after becoming one himself.

He was still adjusting to the wavering flow of fatherhood and was very much grateful for how humbling it was to be a father, but that did not strike out the fact that parenting was immensely a life-altering duty.

‘Aww she has the most beautiful smile ever. I know she got it from Emery cause you, my son, are a grump.’

Miles tilted his laptop away from the bassinet and gave his mother an unamused look. “Don't let that smile fool you. She is just as grumpy as her father.”

‘I still can't believe you're a father... no I can't believe I lived to see this. I'm so proud of you, son.’

Miles rolled his eyes at his mom's theatrics. He zipped the diaper bag after making sure he had packed everything, and set it on the coffee table.

‘Now you be a good man and take good care of them, you hear me?’

“Yes ma'am.” He gave his mom a playful salute and the latter rolled her eyes.

‘I have to go get your dad. It's almost 10:50 PM here and he is still in his study doing God knows what instead of resting... you Dekker men are such a headache! I will call you tomorrow, love. Don't forget what we talked about.’

“Sure. Say hi to dad for me.” Miles ended the call and turned his attention back to his princess who was kicking her little limbs in her bassinet.

“I will miss you more Princess.” He smiled when his little angel held onto his finger and cooed in return. He would surely miss her and her funny noises.

Saying goodbye was getting harder by the day.

He would have loved to visit them during the weekend as well, but they just started co-parenting and he felt as if the weekend was solely for mother and daughter to bond.