Chapter 15

From behind the balcony door, Miles stared at her curled form on the chaise lounge.

She had refused to have dinner with him and had gone to the balcony for some quiet time—after spending an hour in the bathroom just to avoid him.

She was headstrong. Regardless, Miles knew he deserved the cold shoulder. He had gone completely out of line by raising his voice at her back there. It was out of character and he hated himself for it.

Sliding the balcony door open, Miles trudged over to her and sat in the chair facing hers. “I called room service in case you changed your mind.”

“I'm not hungry.” Her eyes were still shut in a pretentious sleep.

Miles sighed. They were supposed to be making this work, not screw things up.

“Then come inside, Em, it's cold out here.” Miles insisted.

“I want to be alone, Miles...”

Okay, that was it. Miles got up from his seat and scooped her off the lounge.

“What are you doing?!” Emery squealed, her hands flying over her shirt to hold it down.

“If you want to vent your anger out, I'm more than willing to be your punching bag but I'm not going to sit and watch you catch a cold.”

“Miles, put me down.” She tried to wiggle out of his arms but Miles would have none of her stubbornness.

“Stop twitching.” He warned but his tone was light.

This was embarrassing. “I'm serious put me down before you get hernia.”

Miles chuckled. “Nice try. Now keep quiet and enjoy the ride.”

Emery gave up. She held onto his shoulders and buried her warm face in the cloak of his neck as he strode out of the balcony with her. His gentle after-shower scent cocooned her and unconsciously, she found herself leaning into him.

Damn Miles Dekker.

Unaware of the carnal havoc he was causing, Miles nudged the door open with his foot and carried her into their bedroom.

Emery's heart was beating erratically from their close proximity as he bent to lay her on the bed. He smelled so good, and boy did her insides soar in unwanted pleasure. Quickly, she averted her gaze and scooted back to create some space between them.

“Coffee?” Miles asked and when she did not reply he said, “Coffee it is then.” He sauntered out of the bedroom to fix her a cup.

Heaving a deep sigh, Emery leaned against the cushioned headboard and watched him as he made his way to the kitchen.

Why is he acting as if he cares?

Miles came back a few minutes later with a mug of hot coffee and a plate of cookies. Emery thanked him when he placed the tray on the nightstand.

“I didn't ignore your calls on purpose.” She pointed to the nightstand where her phone sat. “The place was too noisy for me to hear the phone ring.”

Miles nodded. “I'm sorry for lashing out. I was worried and...” scared that something had happened to you and I wasn't there to protect you too.

Shaking himself out of those lingering thoughts, he said, “That is no excuse for how I acted. I'm sorry.” Emery nodded.

Miles reclined back into the couch and surfed the channels for something decent to watch. For a few minutes, he was immersed in a rematch until the girl behind him said something that got his spine straightening.