Chapter 02

It's been three miserable weeks since the accident that ripped part of Emery's life away and her brother was still deep in his comatose state.

The hospital bills were piling up as the day went by and Emery was at her wit's end. She had spent her entire savings from vlogging on her brother's overly expensive medications and right now, she was totally drained. Financially and emotionally.

But in high hopes, she and her Aunt contacted distant relatives for help—with no luck as both of them had anticipated.

'We're sorry Em, things aren't going well but we'll get back to you.' She received this same response every time but they never did.

Then again, the majority of them were all the way across the continent and funding a patient abroad was out of their pockets.

"You should go before Diana leaves the shop. Don't worry, I'll stay here with him."

Emery turned to her best friend and gave her a soft smile. She wanted to tell her to go home and get some rest but knowing how stubborn Natalia was, there was no talking her into leaving her boyfriend's side. The highschool sweet-hearts were connected at the hip and no one dared to separate them.

"Thanks, Talia, I will be right back." Casting another glance at her brother, Emery scurried out of the recovery room.

The tears threatened to spill as she walked the busy streets of Clifford Hills but she braced herself against the onslaught of pain.

Even after sending her curriculum vitae to numerous companies, she was yet to receive any response. But Emery deemed the delayed reply to be understandable seeing as she had just gotten out of college. Even with a first-class degree.

Taking in the bustling activities going on around her, she felt like screaming out her pains to the universe. Why is life so unfair!

Lost in her chaotic mind, Emery did not see the incoming Rolls-Royce which was making a turn and thus crossed the road.

"Watch out!"

That one sentence from a pedestrian brought Emery out of her senses before it was too late.

· · • • • ✤ • • • · ·

Miles Dekker who was arguing with his ex-fling on the phone was brought out of his rage by a pedestrian's call before he could knock down the absentminded lady who had double-crossed his path.

"What's wrong with you? You almost killed me." Out of frustration, Emery snapped at the stranger.

Miles looked sharply towards the direction of the audacious voice, intent on putting the girl in her rightful place. It was not his fault that she was not paying attention to her surroundings.

However, no censure took place because whoever the hell was the timekeeper of the universe went on strike the moment striking russet eyes met his sapphire ones.

It was her hair that stole all of Miles's attention at first. A thick mop of lustrous afro which was flat twisted on both sides and pinned down in a bun.

Boldly, Miles let his gaze travel down and he practically heard his breath caught. Her delicate oval-shaped face was dusted with color, her expressive brown eyes complimenting a dainty nose and full glossy heart-shaped lips. And the way the late afternoon sun hit her skin made her appear to be a bronze in the flesh.

Indeed he was astounded by the sight of the little angel before him, and for the briefest of seconds which seemed like hours to him, he was held spellbound.

That was until the girl spoke. Again.

"He's not even going to ask if I'm alright. How rude of him." Her voice was brittle as if she was holding onto her last restrain of breaking into tears.