Chapter 2

~ Chapter Two ~ 

The air evaporates in my lungs with a sharp aching pain and my knees weaken, causing me to prop myself up with my hand on the table. Standing before me, taking a deep breath, is Aiden!  

Breathtaking, just as I remember, his buff, lean stature under his black three-piece tailored suit and red tie exudes power and control. His short dark hair is freshly cut, personifying a clean, dignified, powerful, business mogul. His close clean shave, exposing his soft smooth skin that felt like velvet against mine. Clandestinely, the familiar scent of his favorite cologne consumes me. The spicy scent stirs up memories of our morning routine, dressing and prepping together in the bathroom for work and nights out, not to mention the numerous times we held each other or spent making love. These were the exact characteristics that pulled at my libido the first moment I saw him two and a half years ago. 

"Please darling give me five minutes to talk," Aiden pleas in his nervous, yet familiar, charming Australian accent. 

Closing my eyes, I try my best to remain calm and collected. I can't forget what he did to me. "I can't Aiden. I just can't...it's...it's just not a good idea." 

"Audrey please darling! Be reasonable. I still love you. You must know that I always will." 

Standing before me with his familiar dark eyes filled with anguish and grief, an instant flashback of him appeared just like the night I looked back in my rearview mirror and saw him as I drove away. 

I haven't seen Aiden in eight months since I found him with his secret submissive in our bed. One afternoon he arranges the church for our wedding ceremony and later the same day he is in our bed with the slut. No, don't listen to him, he cannot be trusted. How do I know this isn't all an act to win me back and hurt me all over again?  

Searching and mustering every bit of calmness within me, I look him directly in the eyes. "Please go Aiden. I am expecting a client to arrive any minute for a meeting."  

"Audrey, I am your client, Mr. Banks." He stands without apology and in complete control. 

My eyes grow huge and flare with instant shock while my jaw clamps down containing my fury that I would never release in a public place. This is just like him! Shocked by the audacity of him to entrap me in a public meeting place and force me to listen to his empty, narcissistic apology was a power play that pissed me off! He always used this tactic in the past when we had disagreements. Before I can even say one word, he steps forward and pours out his guilt-ridden apology. 

"Please darling, let me explain. I hate what happened. I was a stupid, selfish, bloody bastard. I'm so sorry Audrey. You didn't deserve to be betrayed. I never meant to hurt you. I wasn't thinking! Jesus Christ, I regret everything and I know I was wrong." 

Shit! I had longed to hear him say those words to me for eight miserable months and now they are most anti-climactic. 

"You never picked up the phone once, Aiden! You have had eight months to tell me this! Why now? Tell me! Why now?" 

"Because I was a blind, wretched, fucking fool." His eyes crumple with desperation. I really don't know whether to cry, believe him, or concede he's a bloody brilliant actor.  

"I don't believe you. I don't even know who you are!" I turn away to leave and feel Aiden grab my wrist tightly and jerk me around to face him. Leaning into my face, two inches separate our lips and I feel his moist breath brush against my cheek and down my neck.