15- Oyakodon and Mixed Signals

Start from the beginning

I shot up straight, back stiff and eyes narrowed. "Your fever is going up every time I check it," I snapped. "I know you have lighter clothes than that, and you need to change."

"I'm perfectly fine," he mumbled. My irritation was impossible to disguise.

"Jeon Jungkook," I pointed my finger at his torso, "If you don't strip down within the next two minutes, I will do it to you myself."

Our eyes caught, both of us equally stunned, but I refused to back down. Even in my embarrassment, I was far more worried about his wellbeing. Regardless, I couldn't take back what I said. And I would follow through if need be.

"What the hell is going on in there?" Taehyung called from across the hall. His door pulled open for him to peak out at us, and I pointed at Jungkook like an angry child.

"He won't listen. Your fever went down," I pointed at Taehyung with my other hand, tone far more panicked than necessary. "But he's wearing a million layers, and his fever is only getting worse."

"He is a grown man, Ari," Taehyung shook his head and gestured down the hall on his left. "And Hoseok will be here any minute. Are you ready?"

"I am," I crossed my arms before turning back to Jungkook. "If you don't feel better soon, make Taehyung drive both of you to the doctor."

"Ari, my God," Taehyung stepped out of his room and lightly pulled at my wrist. I didn't resist as he pulled me out of Jungkook's room. "We'll be okay. Just relax. I don't want this to ruin your mood for your first date."

I took a deep breath. Taehyung was right. I was being ridiculous, and I want to have a good time with Hoseok today.

"Yeah, okay," I nodded and pulled my arm out of his hold. We both stood in the hall between the two rooms, and I glanced back at Jungkook. He sat up, eyes intent on me, and I felt my heart skip.

He shamelessly ran his eyes along my form, fingers brushing through his hair as they came back up to meet mine. A comment fell from his lips moments later. "Have fun on your date. Try to not scare Jung away."

"I think I'll be fine." I turned away from him, but my heart wouldn't settle. His gaze alone made me so nervous, and I could feel my cheeks heating.

Today was going to be a long day.

::

Hoseok was able to keep our conversation afloat even when I thought the it was falling flat. He could talk about anything and everything happening around us and make it sound interesting.

During our meal, he carried most of the topics naturally. My mind had only been partially checked in during the whole meal, and before I knew it, my food was gone. I tried to pretend that I hadn't just zoned out during the date, and Hoseok didn't seem to notice. If he had, I'm sure he would have mentioned it.

We stopped in a small sweets shop on our way from the diner, picking out a few treats to take home with us. I paid for a few candies I knew Taehyung liked, but when it came to Jungkook, I had no ideas. Despite my better judgement, I consulted Hoseok to see if he might know.

"Uhm," he glanced up with narrowed eyes. After a few seconds of thought, he shook his head. "I really don't know. If he's sick, maybe something lemon? Or peppermint? Depending on what he's sick with."

I took a deep breath, staring over the overwhelming options. I lightly shook my head and shot Taehyung a text. The worst thing he could do was not answer.

Ari:
I'm at the candy store. What do you and Kook want?

I picked out some of my favorite candies—truffles, caramel melts, and the best marshmallow chocolate treat I'd tasted in my life—and Taehyung finally texted me back.