a soul

based off of the soul stone. enough said.

Be safe. 

The upside down is unforgiving. 

Watch out for each other. 

A soul.

You aren't alone there. 

Connected. 

The mind. 

Please come back. 

For the souls.

Please.

El sat upright in her sleeping bag, her outer blankets falling onto Mike's face. He rolled around and sleepily swatted them off until he came to a seated position. 

"Now what?" he asked, rubbing his eyes. The sun was barely rising, an orange glow oozing through their tent. 

"The Void." 

"Ok?" Mike questioned, turning to get a better look at El now that his eyes were open. He saw her shaky hands and heavy breathing and knew something was wrong. 

"El, what happened?" He questioned, grabbing her wrists to steady her hands. 

"I went to the void while I was sleeping, but I saw nothing," She whispered. Mike waited for her to continue. 

"I only heard voices. They told me what we had to do."

"Oh great, so you know how to close the portal?" Mike asked. El shook her head, it wasn't all that simple. It was day ten of Mission Gate. The military was here along with the kids and local police force as they attempted to shut the gate to rid Hawkins of their troubles. No success so far. 

"What do you mean?" 

"It gave me warnings," El began, "Talking about not being alone. And souls and connected." 

"What the hell," Mike trailed off. The pair sat there and thought before Mike pulled El out of the tent to grab breakfast. The same as yesterday, a granola bar and juice. So much for doing super top secret military stuff for summer break. 

The pair sat on a log, munching on their bars. 

"I think we need to go in," El said, looking over her shoulder and back at the lab. 

"Are you out of your mind?" Mike asked, his brows knitting together. 

"We have to. The void kept saying connected. I'm assuming that means either I'm connected to the upside down, or when I go in I must be connected with someone."

"El..."

"We have to Mike. Please." 

"Jesus, ok. Just because I can't say no to that face," Mike said, tucking a strand of her hair behind her ears. El smiled slightly and stood up. 

"We need to grab comms and a gun." 

"You can't use your mind?" Mike asked, standing up with her. 

"It's much more fun with guns," El said, winking. 

"Fine," Mike whined, following El to the base tent. El peaked in to check if the coast was clear, dipped in and came out with ear comms and two guns. 

"Let's go," She said, tossing Mike the gun. He caught it and started to walk, but El stood there looking back at the camp. 

"Should we tell them?" She asked, hesitating for the first time.