brother

"Wait, what?" 

The Byers had a new outdoor table and they were hosting the annual Byers-Hoppers Sunday dinners. Hopper said it was a way to make sure El was using table manners, but everybody knew he just wanted to see Joyce. 

The summer air was blowing through everyone's hair and the sunset painted their faces orange. Johnathan Byers was back from college for one week since he was taking an extended internship out in New York. He had two more days before he went back.

El sat next to Will, and they were making faces with their green beans since neither of them wanted to eat them. 

"Are you serious?" El said, looking from Hopper to Joyce to Will.

"Yes."

"That's so exciting!" El said, clapping her hands. She hugged Will and then Hopper and then jumped up to hug Joyce.

"Thanks, kiddo," Hopper said, his smile beaming. 

Will sat there, his smile plastered on and his eyes full of confused thinking. 

"So... El and I are step-siblings now?" He asked, eating a green bean. 

"Yes," Joyce said, squeezing Hopper's hand. He smiled even wider, which El didn't know was possible. 

"That's..." Will trailed off, still thinking. El frowned. Will and El weren't as close as she was to the other kids since his circumstances, but due to the family dinners and summer activities, they have grown to be good friends. The table waited for Wills, response. 

"Awesome!" He finally declared, and a weight was lifted off of El. 

"Yay!" She said, hugging him. 

Johnathan congratulated his them and seemed to be ok with it. As long as it wasn't Lonnie and that Joyce was happy, he was fine with it. 

After the dinner, Hopper offered to drive them to Mike's house, where the kids were waiting for them so their sleepover could start. He reminded them to have fun and stay safe and also told them that they could tell their friends about their marriage, but do not tell their parents. He wanted to do it himself. 

The kids walked in, said hi to the Wheelers and headed downstairs. Not even before they got off the steps, Will blurted it out.

"My mom is getting married!" 

El looked around at the kids and their happy faces, she smiled as well.

"My dad is getting married!" She smiled. The kids kept their smiles until the pieces to the puzzle came together. They grew quiet. 

"So... Joyce... and... Hopper?" Dustin asked. 

Will and El nodded.

"I called it!" Lucas said. 

"Same! Pay up," Mike said, extending his hand at Dustin. Dustin pulled two crinkled ones out of his pocket and handed them to the two boys. 

"Congrats!" Max said. She gave a small fist pump with her hand and El plopped down next to her. 

"So, you two will be step-siblings?" Lucas asked. The room grew silent and all eyes turned towards them.

"Yes," Will said. 

"Cool! Now we can have sleepovers at your house since two of you will always be there!" Mike laughed. The kids laughed too, agreeing with that. 

After hours of play and planning sleepovers at the new Byers-Hopper home, the kid's eyelids grew tired and they declared it time to sleep. They set up their blankets and turned out the light. Both El and Will's minds were running since their lives were both going to change. El sat up. 

"Is anybody awake?" She whispered. 

"Me," Will whispered back. 

"I'm glad you're gonna be in my house all the time. I don't think I could handle anybody else," She whispered. Will laughed at that.

"Me too, El," He said, laying back onto his pillow. El laid back as well.

"Goodnight El," He said letting his eyes fall shut. El closed her eyes too.

"Goodnight, brother." 

sorry, this was really shitty and I wrote it super fast, but I really liked the idea of Jopper. i might write another one similar to this but it's still cute. :)