27 | chapter twenty-seven

Start from the beginning

"Stop, he didn't do anything wrong," I mouth to him with narrowed eyes.

Nash stops his advance completely and entirely and his attention, his anger is directed at me instead as he steps back. My arms fall off his body and I look at him as he arches a single perfectly trimmed brow.

"He asked for your number, you know what he wanted," Nash bites back.

We're causing a scene in the Urban Outfitters we stand in. Customers begin to peer over with curiosity, most of the people humans which meant if Nash lost his cool and shifted it would be a complete mess. I knew that, I knew it well and yet I still managed to ignore the fact that people were in here and looking at the display.

I still ignored the fact that Nash had an uncontrollable temper and I still refused to back down because Nash was being so unreasonable right now. He asked for my number in a romantic way at first but then he just wanted to be friends, that's all. He was trying to be nice and although it was sketchy, there's no harm in potentially making a new friend. I've spent too much of my life being skeptical of people and turning my head away towards people that I haven't been able to make many friends at all.

It was due to my socially awkward nature but he approached me, he wanted to be friends with me, he was being kind and nice to me. Why push away someone away who's trying to reach out to me out of the kindness of their heart? What ill intention is there in that?

What also sent me furious is the fact that Nash probably didn't even hear the exchange that went on. He most likely saw me hand him phone and automatically assumed that I was giving him my phone for romantic reasons when that was not it at all. The only person I'd ever have feelings for is Nash and it would only ever be Nash. My thoughts filled with him and him only but right now I didn't want it to be filled with him because he was being dumb.

"He wanted to be my friend! He didn't want anything else from me," I argue back.

"That's bullshit, Nik and you know it," he scoffs, running a hand through his hair.

"So you're telling me that it's impossible for someone to actually maybe want to be friends with me? Is that it? It's so crazy that a guy would just want to be friends without romantic interest?" I angrily tap my feet against the floor as I glare up at him furiously.

"Nik—" he cuts himself off and runs a livid hand down his face, "you know the answer to that. You know damn well his fucking intentions or are you pretending he doesn't have hidden motives and want to be a little slut."

As soon as he said it, I could see his eyes immediately turn back to their green ones and the only emotion swirling in there was regret. Automatic, undoubtable regret in the rawest form that there was. My bottom lip trembles, my eyes stinging and burning with the need to cry. My eyes are wet but I refused to let the tears escape.

I shake my head slowly, refusing to acknowledge his words because they pierced my heart. In any other scenario, like in bed, the degrading term was hot but hearing him say it with the force he said it with and with the serious tone he said it in, it hurt. It hurt so damn bad, more than I ever thought it would to be called a slut but it wasn't even the word that sliced into my heart.

It was the fact that the person that I'm coming to love said it with the full intention to hurt me even if out of anger. It was the malice and scalding intent that made my eyes burn, my legs taking slow steps back because I couldn't even bring myself to look at him anymore.