24 | chapter twenty-four

— Warning: Heavy Violence —

Gnashton Wade

             I smile at her and dump the towel into her hands.

"Wipe the floors with that," I tell her and she gives me a confused look.

I laugh a little and grab the towel from her. I bend down onto my knees and start wiping the floors before looking up at her and smiling.

"Like this," I demonstrate again.

She claps her hands, giggling like she now understands what I mean. I stand up and give her the towel. She instantly gets on her knees and attempts to do what I did but she doesn't do it as well as I did because her arms are smaller and aren't as strong as mine but that's okay because she's trying her best.

I open up a squeaky cupboard and pull out a large black trash bag. I start to take empty cans that are on the table and throw them inside the trash bag. I'm really happy because I'm helping mommy and daddy so when they get home they'll be proud of us and really happy. Hopefully they don't drink that juice that makes them act mean and we'll play puzzle games.

Maybe mommy and daddy will be nice to Kate because that's what I wished for on Christmas. That mommy and daddy would be nice to Kate for my birthday since they were very mean to her on Christmas and gave her a big scar on her back. She walks weird because of it.

I hear the sound of keys followed by the front door opening and I jump up from where I was picking up cans of tuna fish. Kate stumbles a little bit before she gets up too and smiles brightly while clapping her hands. Taking her hand, we await mommy and daddy's entrance into the kitchen so that I can show them what we were doing for them.

Even though we weren't done, we were almost done and the kitchen looked nicer now. I see their figure as they approach and soon I can see their faces. They smell like that juice and it burns my nose. Mommy sways to the side while daddy wears a glare with a glass bottle in his hand.

I'm hesitant, scared to speak or move because I didn't know if they were in a good mood or not.

"Mommy!" Kate shrieks out, throwing her hands up.

Mommy glares at her, her lips curling into a snarl and I frown.

"W-we cleaned t-the kitchen," I stutter.

They don't say anything at all and I shift a bit, taking Kate's small hand in my own even though she was trying to bounce her way over to mommy who stared at her like she was this disgusting rat beneath her feet. She stared at Kate like she hated her existence and wanted her gone and that made the building anger flood me inside but I couldn't release it. I wanted mommy and daddy to be happy.