23 | chapter twenty-three

— Warning: Gruesome Detail —

Gnashton Wade

          I drag the whimpering and self deprecating boy out of his bathroom, leaving the pills he was moments away from ingesting aside. My heart clenches as do my fist just thinking about him trying to take his life and leave me to fester around in this damned world alone without him by my side.

He was supposed to be my fucking sidekick, my everything and he was about to take all that shit away in a damn moment. My wolf, Gage, growls inside me and I can feel him pushing to be released to console our shaking mate but I refuse to allow him because if I did, I knew our consoling would turn into something else that I didn't want at the moment.

In this moment I need to make Nik realize that he isn't alone in this fucked world. He isn't the only one who felt like this and he would never, never be alone in this world.

Not on my watch.

I sit him on his bed and he curls up to himself, bringing his knees to his chest while wrapping his arms around himself. Looking at him, I couldn't help but think that he's so damn beautiful. The fact that he didn't realize how much he really meant to me destroyed me, ripping me to pieces but that wouldn't stop me from making it heavily apparent to him.

Even if it went into one ear and out the other, I'd continue to make it known to him until it stuck to him that he's worth the world to me. I would implant it inside his head that he's precious, beautiful, worth while and the best fucking thing to ever happen to me.

I get onto one knee in front of Nik as my hand grips one of his knees in my hand.

"There's something I haven't told you," I say and despite how much I try, I can't keep the nerves from rolling off my tongue as I say this.

I see the curiosity in his wet eyes so I wipe a tear that falls with the pad of my thumb and release a sigh as I open my mouth and I tell him everything I've never told anyone before and he listens attentively.

I'm wiping my sleepy eyes as I walk out of my room in my Spider-Man pjs, iron man socks on my small feet. I peer into my parents room but they aren't home despite the fact that's it's so early in the morning and the birds are chirping. My fourth birthday is today so I hoped that they'd be home but they weren't and that left me sad but I knew that maybe they'd come home later today so we can celebrate.

Maybe when they came today, they'd be acting like the mommy and daddy they acted like when I was one years old. These days they acted really weird, they came home and they'd say things in a weird way with their eyes really red. Their behavior scared me and I didn't want to play with them when they acted like that but when they weren't like that they were different, they were much kinder to me.