014. no can do

› CHAPTER FOURTEEN ‹

"What are you doing?"

Raleigh halted in his steps as he nervously turned around towards Michelle Jones. The girl was leaning against the hallway wall, holding a book to her chest. Her eyes watched him closely as he switched his weight from one leg to the other. He had his backpack strapped around his shoulders, which kept his suit and mask hidden from everyone. 

"What are you doing?" He echoed the question back to her, but when she raised her eyebrows to him in lack of amusement, he shook his head. "Okay, no, sorry... I'm going to help Peter study for tomorrow."

"Help Peter study? Mhm." She furrowed her brows as she pushed off the wall. She passed him and moved towards the stairs. Raleigh watched as she disappeared before he let out a relieved breath and hurried to his friends' room.

He didn't bother knocking before he barged in, locking the door behind him.

"How about knocking?" Peter squeaked at Raleigh, halfway into his suit. Raleigh didn't reply to him. He dropped his bag and pulled out his own suit. He quickly got undressed and then redressed into his own suit. Peter stood to the side, pulling on a pair of jeans and a jacket.

"You both look so cool," Ned breathed, resisting the urge to take a picture of them in their suits. Raleigh shook his head at Ned's antics and pulled his jeans and blue hooded jacket on over his suit. Once he was finished, he watched the other two and when all three realized it was nearing time to go, Ned asked an important question. "What are you going to do when you find them?"

Raleigh looked to Peter and then back to Ned. "Probably fight? Get some information? We're not very good at plans I'm learning."

Peter nodded in agreement and picked his backpack back up. Raleigh did the same since his mask was in there and he needed to resemble someone going to study.

"The glowy thing, it's evidence," Peter said to Ned. "Keep it safe, all right?"

"Okay." He takes the alien-thing. "Okay."

Peter peers down at his wrist, which has the tracking screen and waved Raleigh to follow. "They're moving."

"Be careful!" Ned calls to them as they both close the door behind them. Raleigh was buckling his straps to his chest, so when Peter suddenly stopped, he didn't realize and bumped into him. He raises his attention to the boy, noticing Liz jogging towards them in a black and white striped swimsuit.

"Hey, Liz..." Peter swallows nervously.

"Perfect timing." She smiles at the two boys. "We're gonna go swimming." She waves the team forward and everyone runs passed them, excluding Michelle and Ned.

"I was—" Peter fumbles with his words.

Raleigh smiles at Liz. "I was going to help Peter study and catch up in the business center."