Chapter 11

Okay, okay, I will arrange his funeral,  but on one condition.

What? 

Be my perfect daughter again.

Seraphina: Typing...

Seraphina paused, her phone still in her hand. No way in hell was she doing what her mom was asking her to do. She had spent years trying to get over that 'perfect girl' stage. John had risked so much to help her through it too. No way she was wasting all that time and effort. Especially since it was for her fool of a mother.

Seraphina:

no way.

Mother:

play your cards right Seraphina, do you want a  good funeral for this poor boy or not?

Seraphina:

Poor boy? So you pity him now? Why do you want me to do this?

Mother:

Isn't it obvious? I want you back.

Seraphina:

What? As your tool?

Mother:

When you put it that way-

Seraphina:

I'm right, aren't I? You just want to show off my perfect grades, perfect ability to all the fancy guests you have, and pretend like you did it all! Being a "good mother" who raised "perfect children". Not again. I'm not falling for it anymore, goodbye Mother.

Seraphina slammed her phone down on her bed, fuming. How dare her mother do this to her? Striking a bargain? Who did she think she was? The witch from Rapunzel?

"Sera!" She turned her head to see John at her door. "Hey John, what's up?"

"We're going out."

"What? Why?"

"Arlo called us together. "

"Oh. I'll change, then we can go together."

"Sure." He closed his door.

Seraphina's phone dinged with several notifications. Mother...To think she changed...She sighed before putting on a soft purple tank top, a black cardigan, her black jeans, and a pair of brown sandals. Woah...I'm so emo!  She shrugged, eh, whatever, I mean, I guess this is respect for Blyke. Black, funeral colors! A familiar pang hit her heart, she shook her head to get rid of those thoughts in fear she might cry again, grabbed her apartment keys and phone, then opened the door.

"Let's go, John." She said softly.

He was scrolling through her phone, his eyebrows furrowing, he looked up, shocked to see her. "Ah! Sera! Sorry, let's go." He shoved his phone in his pocket.

"What was that about?" She asked curiously.

"Nothing...Just my dad. Paying his respects"

"Oh."

On a normal day, they would find a least two or three topics of conversation, but today, they walked in awkward silence, glancing at one another in hopes that someone would be brave enough to say something.