More Trouble Than You're Worth

*Part 4 of The Fall!*

I sat with Gabriel, Michael, and Raphael as they pondered what to do with me and my troublesome demon. His eyes were closed, unalarmed by being in the presence of so many high ranking angels.

"Without question, one of us must be with them at all times," Raphael said, rubbing his chin. "I'll speak to the Father concerning a more effective course of action. Perhaps Goku can receive some advanced training from myself and perhaps even the Son."

I froze, and Vegeta opened his eyes. The Son!? We looked at each other, confusion and even a little fear on our faces. I choked slightly. Was it really serious enough to bring the Son into this?

"We should reflect more on this before we make drastic decisions," Michael began, only to be cut off by Raphael.

"Drastic decisions?" he said. "This is more of a crisis than you realize, Michael! A Prince has bonded with a fresh angel. This is very serious! If anything happens to Goku, Vegeta will just get even more powerful. Corrupting an angel is difficult, yes, but the benefits he would gain from doing so are a hundred fold than what he would gain from corrupting a mortal."

I shrank down slightly. Vegeta huffed, his sulphurous breath making me cough. Gabriel waved the smoke away and spoke. "Raphael is the most knowledgeable in matters such as these. We came to him for his aid, not to order him around." He nodded to the older angel and went on. "The Lord has a plan. This is his doing, and I believe it will turn in our favor in the end. Winning over so powerful a demon as a Prince will be a huge victory!"

Vegeta sniffed and closed his eyes again. "You can try, lucerne lator. I may be more trouble than I'm worth."

Michael fell quiet, watching the demon very closely all of a sudden. "We'll discuss this more later," he said, and I heard a falter in his voice. "Goku, go with Raphael. He likely has something to teach you for now in dealing with his kind-" He threw a glare at Vegeta, earning a sour look in return. "- and later we will take this to the Son. Don't worry, Goku. We'll take care of this."

A faint rumble echoed through the heavens, and the light flared in what felt like alarm. I ducked down in the shelter of Gabriel's wings, which he wrapped tightly around me. "What was that?" he barked to other angels nearby.

They shook their heads helplessly. The light again pulsed heavily and for a brief moment, coelum went dark. Screams from below terrified everyone there, but it halted when the light returned. All the angels were huddled close together, nearly in tears from fright. Even Michael and Raphael sought each other's glowing auras. I whimpered in Gabriel's arms, my heart racing. I'd never been in the dark before. I'd never felt so afraid in my life. "Gabriel!" I gasped, feeling water on my cheeks. He saw my distress and hushed me comfortingly. He held me as tightly as he could. "What happened?"

"I don't know, Goku," he whispered. He looked at Vegeta, who sat silent and undisturbed, and snarled. "You must have some part in this, tenebris. Speak!"

Vegeta just looked up at the light. "Many an age since coelum went dark," he said musingly, and I felt cold. This wasn't the first time it had happened? "Of course, no one remembers but the Father and the Son."

Gabriel passed me into Michael's arms and turned to Vegeta again. "I'm not afraid to use violence," he hissed, feathers bristled. "Goku may not be able to hurt you, but by the seven planes, I certainly can."

"I am beyond your harm's reach," Vegeta scoffed, tossing his head mockingly. "Few can make a canary of me."

"So you are part of this," Raphael said darkly. He turned to leave, looking over his shoulder at Vegeta. "I'm taking this to the highest authority now. Gabriel, Michael, blessings. And to you, Goku. Keep him safe," he added to my superiors, and he flew away to the light.

I watched Vegeta, scared beyond any fear I'd so far felt. I was in over my head. If he had the power to (unaided or not) make coelum itself go dark, then there was no way I could fight this. Vegeta was a whole other level of sin. He looked at me lazily. He didn't even look triumphant; he looked bored, and yet as if he was anticipating something.

"Come," Michael said, shakily rising. I stood with him, looking at Vegeta. He watched me closely; his eyes were alight with something, though I did not know what. He had many strange expressions. "Let us return to Goku's living quarters." Michael turned to Gabriel. "We should separate them. I dare not risk Goku's innocence without more help. You take Goku; I'll deal with this filth."

"No," Gabriel said. "I can handle Vegeta. We have to be patent with him, Michael. No demon is turned without love. I was harsh before, and I see my mistakes. Let me deal with him." He smiled sadly.

Michael hesitated, but he nodded. "Very well. Blessings, my brother." He stepped forward and placed a kiss to Gabriel's cheek before lifting Goku in his arms and flying away.

Gabriel turned to Vegeta, who growled softly and looked after Goku. The high angel shook his head. "Father, grant me strength..."