Coach quits

Charlie and I were at Mickey's diner, when coach Bombay walked in.

"Can I sit here?" he asked me and Charlie.

"Sure." we said at the same time.

"Talk to the guys?" He asked us.

"We tried, but they think we're traitors for just showing up." I told coach.

"Guess they really hate me huh?" he asked us.

"Is it true you were really a hawk?" Charlie asked coach.

"Yeah." coach replied sadly.

"Peter said you blew a really big game once." Charlie said as I nudged him in the ribs.

"Yeah, well Peter's right, was the last game of the state finals, we were tied 2-2 in the end of the third period. I get a penalty shot, go in and I triple deke, fake the goalie right out of his pads. Pucks headed in and then 'CLANG' hits the post. We lost in overtime. Quarter of an inch this way and it would've gone in. Quarter of an inch, guys." he said emphasizing the word clang.

"Yeah, but quarter of an inch the other way and you would've missed completely." I said thinking about it.

"I never thought of it that way." he said.

"At least you got to play in the play-offs, god that must've been so cool." Charlie said.

"Hey, can I get you a cup of coffee?" my mom said ruining our conversation.

"I'd love one." coach said back happily.

"You know she has many fine qualities, that men find attractive." Charlie said.

"I know that Charlie, that fact hasn't escaped me. So what kinda guys does she usually date?" he asked us.

"Jerks." I told him.

"Yeah, jerks. I mean most of them like her and Jodie, but once they catch a glimpse of me, BAM! Warp-speed their gone." Charlie said.

"Don't take it personal Charlie." coach said.

"Oh I wouldn't even care. it's just not fair to our mom." he said looking at me then back at coach.

"She deserves somebody nice." I said.

"Are you going to come over for dinner again?" Charlie asked breaking the silence.

"I don't know, Charlie. I'm not sure it's such a good idea. See that's what I wanted to talk to you guys about. I um... I talked to Jesse and Terry's dad, and he agreed to take over coaching for the rest of the year." he told us, as I choked back a sob.

"You're quitting?!" we asked.

"I'm stepping aside. To keep the team together. The guys can't play for somebody they don't trust." he said.

"We trust you, the other guys do to, they just don't know it. You just got to talk to them." Charlie said you could practically hear in his voice he was ready to cry.

"Charlie, I've done all I can-" coach was saying until Charlie interrupted him.

"No you haven't, you gotta tell them, you gotta make them understand. You can't walk out on the ducks we're your team." he said starting to cry.

"No your not." coach said.

"We are too. We weren't even the ducks until you came along. You made us and now your stuck with us." Charlie said before he ran out of the diner.

"Coach you can't leave us." I begged him. I could feel the tears running down my cheeks.

"I have to Jodie." he said almost in tears too.

"No you don't." I say before running after Charlie.

"Jodie!" I hear in the background I don't even turn around and I can tell it's coach Bombay. Charlie and I run into our apartment, up to our room. We sit down on my bed as we cry.

"Why is he leaving us?" I ask Charlie.

"I don't know, Jodie, I don't know." we fell asleep like that laying on my bed crying our eyes out.