I could hear Adrian hyperventilating on the other side of the ivy curtain and Bear's low, consolidating whines. It might've been better to give the Sentinel time to compose himself, but I wanted to get this over with so I pushed the flora aside and stepped out of the alcove.

Adrian was still wide-eyed, slumped on the ground with his back against a tree trunk and bear was standing on his back paws, the front ones placed on his owner's leg. The pooch glanced at me, then whined again, louder, as if pleading for help, then went back to looking at his owner's face.

"What have you done?" Adrian whispered, his eyes on the ground. He then lifted his gaze to face me and raised his voice: "Why did you do this to me?

 He then lifted his gaze to face me and raised his voice: "Why did you do this to me?

I stared at Alec, his face devoid of any emotions. He hadn't even put on that bored mask he liked to hide behind. He simply look down at me, his pale form a stark contract from the dark vegetation behind him.

"How could you..." I began to repeat, choking, "do this to me?"

Bear whined yet again, patting me with his front paws. I pushed him gently away and rose, getting closer to the man who'd once again put me in a compromising position.

"You know you are supposed to register as a shifter if you can shift," I tried to shout at him, but my voice cracked.

Alec gave a careless shrug, ignoring my distress.

"Why would I want to be on some government list?" He asked calmly and anger began to replace the astonishment and sense of betrayal that had overtaken me.

"It's the law, Alec."

"So?" His answering question was in the same even tone as before.

"The laws are there for a reason. You can't just go around, breaking them!" There was no trepidation in my voice this time, the rage taking a stronger hold on me.

"Well, I did." Alec didn't even flinch. "Are you going to report me?"

Now wasn't that the million dollar question!

Even if I'd been a civilian, I would have to report an unregistered shifter or I'd face legal consequences. But to keep quiet about this as a Sentinel?

I'd be fired and maybe even face jail time.

Everything I'd worked hard for, all I'd dreamed of becoming and doing with my life, would go down the drain if I didn't contact the authorities on this. Hell, if I were on duty, I'd have to arrest Alec myself!

"I can't believe you are cruel enough to put me on the spot like this," I muttered, my voice giving out once more as my eyes began to sting.

Alec's betrayal shouldn't have hurt this much.

I shouldn't have felt lightheaded, my heart shouldn't have been beating like crazy.

My eyes shouldn't have watered up.