Chapter 49- The End

Bắt đầu từ đầu

Ella stepped out next, sending a wink towards the crowd before stepping up to her sister's side. The two marched in their familiar rhythm, their legs moving in sync. Along the way, they stopped to greet citizens who were particularly eager to meet the pair of sisters that had been dubbed 'The People's Princesses' by working citizens who saw bits of themselves finally represented in the royal family.

Eventually, the two sisters completed their rounds among the people and stepped up to the station platform where the main event was happening. Tina was already waiting on the platform along with a few of the other extended relatives of the King and Queen.

"Don't think I didn't notice that wink that you gave the papzz when you got out of the limo," Tina said jokingly to Ella, giving the younger girl a hug.

"I learned from the best," Ella said, giving the princess a cheeky smile.

Tina grinned at her and then moved in to give Evie a hug as well.

"You ok?" She whispered, her lips millimeters from Evie's ear.

"No," Evie replied just as quietly.

"He loves you," Tina said.

"I don't want to lose him."

"You won't."

"I might-"

"You won't. Trust me."

Tina pulled away, giving Evie a reassuring, yet secretive, smile.

As soon as Tina pulled away, trumpets sounded signaling to everyone that the guest of honor had arrived. As soon as Devon turned the corner, Evie felt her heart flutter. He was wearing his military jacket, the uniform that he was expected to wear every day at the training academy that he would be attending for the next 3 years. Right now, it was bleak except for a single pin that had the Lexian family crest on it.

Behind him, the King and Queen walked. Each one held a scepter in their hand, ready to play their part in sending their son off to the next step in becoming king.

Devon took his time talking to as many citizens as he could and when he finally reached the platform, he greeted each and every relative with a gracious smile and a firm handshake. Evie right next to the end of the platform meaning that she would be the last person he would see, other than his parents, before he boarded the train. At first, she had been happy with this role because she would be able to say goodbye without feeling rushed. But now, it just felt like it would take an eternity for Devon to reach her.

Eventually, he reached Evie, his signature smirk settling into place as he looked down at her.

"Hello your highness," Evie said, her lips curving into a smile.

"Evelyn," He said, laughter seeping into his voice. He glanced around quickly and Evie watched as the smile slid off his face.

He sighed, running a hand over his face briefly before he turned back to her.

"I'm in love with you," he said simply.

"I'm in love with you too," Evie replied, swallowing down the lump that was forming in her throat.

"These past few months have been perfect Evie. Every single fight with the board, with my mother, with the press has all been worth it because I got you out of it."

Evie smiled, shaking her head slightly. "Dev-"

"No, let me finish first," Devon said, his eyes twinkling with a renewed hope and his lip twitching upwards. "I love you. And I want you to remember that I will continue to love you and continue to fight for us, even when I'm miles away."

Evie's breath caught in her throat as Devon started to kneel on the ground. His hand slowly emerged from behind his back, a small velvet box in the palm of his hand.

"Oh my god Devon," Evie breathed. His lip twitched upwards and his jaw muscles jumped as he opened the box showing her a diamond halo ring. As he raised the box up, his eyes found hers and the entire station seemed to fade away.

"I know that you're the one for me. But, I didn't think it was fair to either of us to enter an engagement right as I leave for school. So, I bought this ring to symbolize my promise to you. My promise to defend you, to be loyal to you, to make you proud, to always be there when you need someone to listen, and to support all your ambitions but most of all, to love you unconditionally. And, if everything goes well, this ring symbolizes my promise to one day marry you. You're it for me Evie and I want to make sure that even when I can't be with you, you remember how much I love you. So, Evelyn Jane Delany, would you do me the honor of wearing this ring to remind you of my promise?"

Evie could barely contain her smile as she nodded and felt the ring being slid onto her finger. Devon held her hand as he stood up and then pulled her close to his chest. Evie breathed in his warm embrace for a moment before tilting her chin upwards and capturing his lips in a chaste kiss. Evie pulled away gently, her gaze remaining on Devon even as the crowds roared behind her and the flashes from cameras were yearning to catch a glimpse of her face.

"The answer will always be yes for you, Devon," Evie whispered, a smile creeping onto her face as she remembered the words that Devon had said to her five months ago.

Rather than responding, Devon surged forward, pressing one last kiss to Evie's lips. Evie closed her eyes, trying to savor the smell of his aftershave and the feeling his minty breath on her neck. But, eventually, the couple had to break apart.

Devon bit his lip, looking at the train regretfully.

"I-"

"It's ok," Evie said, kissing his cheek and stepping back. "Go."

Devon nodded, stepping up to where his parents were waiting. They pounded their scepters on the ground twice prompting everyone to bow down as Devon boarded the train. Evie lifted her head, watching as Devon stepped onto the train. Just as Evie thought he was going to disappear from her line of view, he paused, looked back, sent her a small wink and then disappeared behind the train cars tinted windows.

As the train pulled out of the station, Tina and Ella came to stand at Evie's sides, looking at her to gauge her emotions. Evie noticed their stares and nodded, biting her lip slightly.

"I'm ok," She said.

"Are you sure?" Tina asked, her eyebrows scrunched together.

"Yeah," Evie said, smiling down at the finger where her promise ring was glittering from the sun. "I think I actually am."

A/N- And that's the end of Cream Puffs and Courtship! I'm planning on writing an extended epilogue and possibly going back and revising a few older chapters but other than that, this is the end. 

I was honestly planning on making this story longer but as I was writing the last chapter, I just knew that it was done. I'm actually very happy with the ending and I'm hoping that the extended epilogue will answer any questions that are left unanswered. 

In regards to future plans with these characters, part of me wants to write a spin-off following Tina's romantic journey but I don't want to promise anything yet. I also want to explore the world of self-publishing so that I can have a physical copy of this book but, again, I'm not sure yet. 

No matter what happens, thank you all for your continued support and love for this book. I truly could not have done any of this without you. Thank you for everything. 

-Maddie