Chapter 1- Cream Puffs and Courtship

The sun was rising over the country of Lexia and suddenly the little countryside was brought to life.

Herds of livestock were set free into the vast hillside and kids ran outside to play. Across the narrow river that ran through the country, a bustling city was bursting with life as doors to shops opened and cars rolled out of driveways.

In one of these cars was a young lady who could be no older than 25. Her long hair was thrown up into a ponytail and sunglasses covered her eyes.

In the backseat of the car, a younger girl was stuffing her phone into her coat pocket. Her chocolate brown hair stood out against her navy blue jacket and her round face scrunched up as she tried to apply mascara.

"Can you stop for just a minute?" The young girl asked.

"Should've gotten up earlier like I said, Ella."

"It's Saturday!" The younger girl, Ella, said.

"And I have a job to get to."

"Well, why do I have to come with?"

"Because I know that if I leave you at home none of your work will get done."

"Evieeeeeeee, I'm 14."

"Yeah, I'm aware of how old my sister is."

"Well, then why can't I stay home alone?"

"Look, El, how about you don't complain about coming to work with me and then you can go to the mall with Sara over the weekend,"

"Deal."

The car fell silent as the two sisters made their way deeper into the heart of Lexia.

They passed countless shops with bright window fronts and huge banners advertising for various products. Then, as they got closer to the bakery, they passed a large gate. This obstacle guarded a large stone castle that was impeccably built to protect those who lived inside. There were also several guards stationed at the gate in case someone got in. Girls and boys of all ages were crowded around the gate shouting and trying to push their way through the crowd to catch a glimpse of what was inside.

"Geez, does that family ever get a break?" Ella asked taking a break from her mascara for once.

"Seriously! They're just trying to do their job."

They continued driving until they reached a quaint shop that was slightly farther away from the other shops than normal. The bakery had a huge cup of tea on the sign and a cookie next to it. There was a light up sign in the window that said 'Open' and a schedule of their opening and closing times. Evie hopped out of the car and grabbed her purse from the passenger seat. The bell on top of the door made a sweet twinkling noise as she threw the door open and quickly made her way to the back where she threw an apron over her head and swiped herself in.

"Morning Evie!" a woman called from her position behind the register.

"Morning Carla! Sorry, I'm late, I swear I'm working on it."

"You better be Evie. You're one of my best workers but I swear to Prince Devon if you don't stop leaving me alone for the breakfast rush I'll give your shift to someone else."

"Yes ma'am. It won't happen again."

"Good. Now thank goodness I actually double hired for this shift so Kennedy is in the back working on some cream puffs. How about you get back there and see if she needs any help?"

"Of course ma'am. I had to bring Ella along again today so is it ok if she does some homework at one of the tables?"

"How many times do I have to tell you that she's welcome here anytime? I'll make sure that I have one of her pecan pie slices ready for her."