23 | chapter twenty-three

Start from the beginning

I shake my head, trying to ignore those memories because I knew mommy and daddy would get better. They'd love Kate more soon, I knew they would. Kate peered up at me through her eyes and I smiled down at her. I kiss her forehead and stroke her hair, enjoying how she turns into a fit of giggles. She clung to me often because I showed her the love and affection she didn't get from mommy and daddy.

She was clueless and that's what made me hug her tighter to me because I wanted to protect her so badly but I was such a coward. I wanted to make Iron Man proud of me but if he could see me now he'd be so ashamed of me.

"Mommy?" Kate tilts her head as she looks up at me.

I felt like I understood what she was trying to say so I nodded knowing well that she was asking where mommy was. Even though mommy was mean to her, Kate still wanted her and that's what made me want to shield her from the world because she was too precious. I wish mommy would treat her better, love her more like she loves me but I don't think that would ever happen no matter how much I wished upon a Star or blew out my 'candles' on my birthday.

I was scared my wish would never come true and mommy and daddy would both continue to hurt her. Her cries hurt me so badly, I hated mommy and daddy whenever they hurt her but I didn't want to hate them and that's what made me feel even sadder.

"Mommy will come home soon, Kate," I tell her.

The biggest smile comes onto her face and I want to smile back but I can't seeing how she has no teeth but only gums. She's supposed to have teeth, I've seen her small baby teeth before. I press my hands against my eyes to keep my tears inside, I remember the way daddy would pull out her teeth whenever he drank that evil juice.

Kate sobbed and I knew she was in pain but daddy didn't care as he ripped out her teeth even though he wasn't supposed to. Kate was supposed to be eating big girl food slowly but she still ate baby food or the food I could find for her because mommy and daddy didn't feed her.

I hated whenever they caused her pain, it made me so angry but I had to hide my anger and pretend I was happy because maybe if I was happy, mommy and daddy would become happy too. Maybe then they'd be in a better mood and wouldn't hurt Kate.

"Let's clean up, Kate," I give her a smile, "mommy will be happy if we clean up."

She nods her head vigorously and we start to try to clean the mess in the kitchen but we didn't really have any napkins or any cleaning products because mommy never cleaned, daddy didn't either. The house was usually dirty and it always smelt like that weird liquid I hated but there wasn't really anything I could do about it.

Since we didn't have any napkins, I suddenly think that the towels we have in the one bathroom we have is a better idea. I tell Kate to wait in the kitchen then I rush through the living room, down the hall and then into the bathroom. It's small but it's the only one we have. We have a bathtub with a moldy rubber duck inside that I play with and a toilet that's chipping at the bottom but that's okay because at least I can pee and poop when I need to.

The sink doesn't really work but that's okay too because the sink downstairs in the kitchen works and that means I don't have to wash my hands after using the bathroom. We have two towels which belong to mommy and daddy and they don't really allow us to touch their things but hopefully they'll be happy that we cleaned up the kitchen and won't even notice that we used their towels to do it.

I grab daddy's towel which has stains on it but it's dried up. The stain is red and looks funny but since I can't really guess what it really is, I shrug and take it with me. It drags on the dusty floors as I race back down the hall past the living room and into the kitchen where Kate is about to grab a cockroach that's on the counter. I rush over to her and grab her, shooing the cockroach away because I'm too scared to kill it.

"Don't touch bugs, Kate," I tell her and she grins happily at me, not really understanding what I said.

She's too precious for words but I was so useless.

It gets worse from here folks. double update, you guys deserve it.
~xoxo, Babybird.