23 | chapter twenty-three

Start from the beginning

When they weren't acting funny, they weren't the most fun but it was way better than when they came home with that disgusting smell that rolled off them, I didn't even know what lingered on them but it was gross.

I trudge down the hall of our small one story home and walk past the small living room, into the kitchen that was a mess. There was dirt on the floor with other things I couldn't make out, the counters were messy too. Maybe if I cleaned up this mess mommy would be happy with me and she'd play a puzzle game with me.

Grandpa brought over these puzzles for us to play with and we played with it once when he came over but we haven't touched it since then. It was a Paw Patrol puzzle and even though I already knew it made Rider, I still wanted to make the puzzle again because doing that gave me something to do with mommy. Maybe after the puzzle we could eat those cookies she and grandma made when Kate was born.

Kate is my little sister who I didn't like at first because she made mommy and daddy act weird but I grew to like her because mommy and daddy didn't give her the attention I thought they would. I thought they'd shower her with all their time and affection but they didn't, they dumped her and did other things and that really made me feel bad for her so I began to care for her because mommy and daddy didn't.

They hardly spent time with me but when they did, they acted like Kate didn't exist. I almost wished they would give her the little attention they gave me but I longed for their affection so I never brought it up.

I hear footsteps so my head snaps to the entrance of the kitchen where I see Kate sucking on her thumb with her stuffed animal Lucky in her right arm. Her big doe brown eyes look at me, the clothes she wore worn out as there were rips in them but I tried to look past that as she waddled over to me. She's smaller than me and so I can't help but smile down at her as she lands in my arms. She holds my waist, her head laying on my torso and she wiggles her head, her dark brown locks shaking but not very much.

When mommy was drinking that drink that made her act really weird, she stormed into the living room where Kate was quietly watching Peppa Pig and she grabbed her roughly. The look in mommy's eyes scared me and my heart pounded loudly, slamming against my chest.

Everything inside me screamed at me to try to protect her from whatever was to be done but I was so scared that I backed away and hid behind a pillow as I sat on the couch opposite of where mommy stood gripping Kate by the neck. I watched my baby sister thrash and shriek with cries and that made my own tears fall down my face but I couldn't do anything to stop anything that was happening.

My mommy grabbed the scissors that was on the clear glass table in the center of the couches and she raises it up to Kate. I'm nervous but and I plead inside for mommy to be nice again but my wishes aren't granted. Mommy cuts widely at Kate's long hair that flowed past her waist in random directions.

Mommy kept at it with Kate screaming and choking with tears falling down her face until mommy dropped her onto the floor. Kate laid there crying loudly, I thought I'd go deaf with the volume of her cries but the way her hair was cut on her head was so horrifying that her cries became numbing instead. Mommy walked away swaying and stumbling about and I just sat there with my eyes filled with tears and my body shaking.

I wanted to go to Kate but I was scared mommy would get mad at me for going to her so I stayed in my seat and allowed her tears to drift into my ears. She was only fifteen months old at the time.