Chapter Sixteen: Day In The Life

I managed to stop the bleeding enough so that we could get him back to the Umbrella Academy. I would have stitched him up and dressed the wound there, but Allison pointed out that we didn't know where Jenkins was and we probably shouldn't stick around in case he came back.

I saw on the edge of his bed now, taping gauze over the still slightly bleeding wound on Five's side.

"Anything?" I heard Diego ask from the doorway.

"There's no answer at Vanya's place. And the receptionist at her music school said she was a no-show for her lessons today." I sighed, putting the last piece of tape on the gauze before turning from Five to face them.

"Where'd you learn how to do this?" Diego asked me. I sighed.

"Well...while you guys grew up fighting bad guys, I grew up on the street." Their faces instantly filled with pity. "Nobody in the Foster Care system wants a kid that changes age every time she has a vision."

"You haven't changed age since I met you." Allison pointed out. I shrugged.

"I think its something to do with Five." I looked down at him. "I turned thirteen when I had my first vision of him, and then he showed up that same day. I think my outward age is somehow linked to his. I don't know why."

"We gotta go." Diego pointed out.

"I don't know, Diego." Allison stopped him. "Five is laying there, unconscious.  We need him."

"We can do this ourselves."

"We did that already, remember?" She questioned. "We all ended up dead. I don't know, I'm just...I'm thinking I should go and see Claire before-"

"You can't run away from this." I spoke up, looking at them again. "We need everybody in on this."

"Luther was right." Diego agreed. We both looked at him with raised eyebrows.

"I didn't think I would ever hear you say those words."

"Yeah, well. We gotta stick together. That includes you, Strawberry Shortcake." I furrowed my eyebrows at the nickname. I stood up.

"Don't call me that." I said, walking over to them. "What about him?" I nodded towards Five.

"Mom can look after him." He said.

"Mom? You guys have a mom?" I asked.

"We call her Mom. She's...kind of a robot." Allison explained. I nodded.

"Robot Mom and a Chimpanzee butler. Got it. This family isn't weird at all." They chuckled.

"Where do we start?" Allison questioned.

"There's no other addresses in the file but there is another relation listed. Jenkins' grandmother. She lived near Jackpine Road."

"You think he took her there?" Allison asked.

"Its a good enough place to start as any." I looked back towards Five's room again.

"He's gonna be fine." Diego told me. I nodded.

"I know. I'm gonna worry about him anyway."

"Welcome to motherhood." Allison told me. I chuckled and we made our way out the front door. We started walking towards Diego's car.

"Nope. Come on, this way."

"Wait, but the car is back that way."

"Trust me, ok? Come on." I turned to look at the police cars following us and stepped up beside Diego.