Chapter Ten: Just About Impossible

We finally decided that it was ok to go back to the house. I was determined on going to sleep, until Five and I reached the hallway and found bloody footprints on the floor, leading from the bathroom at the end of the hall to a bedroom that contained a rather disheveled and shirtless Klaus.

Five went first, knocking on the open door, and I slipped into the room beside him.

"You ok?" Five asked.

"Hey. Yeah, I just...long night."

"I'll bet." I told him, remembering the vision from the motel. He pulled a t-shirt over his arms.

"More than one from the looks of it." Five added. I furrowed my eyebrows."

"Yup."

"Don't remember the dog tags."

"Yeah, they belonged to a friend."

"How about that new tattoo?" Five questioned.

"You know, I don't totally remember even getting it. Like I said, it was a long night."

"You did it, didn't you?" I looked at Five, confused.

"What are you talking about?" Klaus asked, sitting down.

"You know, I can recognize the symptoms, Klaus."

"Symptoms of what?" My eyes widened as I realized what he was talking about.

"Jet lag," I said, "Full body itch."

"The headache that feels like someone shoved a box of cotton up into your nose and through your brain."

"Do you want to talk about it?" I asked him. "I know Hazel and Cha-Cha had you at that hotel and-"

"Your pals, when they broke into the house and they couldn't find you two, they took me hostage instead."

"And in return you stole their briefcase." Five realized aloud.

"Yeah. I thought there was money in it, or I could pawn it, you know, whatever. And then I opened it."

"Where did you go?" I asked. "Or, when, rather."

"What difference does it make?"

"What diff-it...Ok, how long were you gone?" Five inquired.

'Almost a year."

"A year? Do you know what this means?"

"Yeah, I'm ten months older now."

"No, this isn't any sort of joke, Klaus. Hazel and Cha-Cha will do whatever they can to get the briefcase. Where is it now?"

"Gone. I destroyed it." Klaus told him. "Poof."

"What the heck were you thinking?!"

"What do you care?!"

"What do I care?! I needed it, you moron, so we could get back. We could start over."

"Five," I said, trying to calm things down.

"Just, just..." Klaus stood up, walking to the door.

"Where are you going?"

"Interrogation's over, just...leave." He left and I turned to look at Five.

"You know, your tact never ceases to amaze me." I told him.

"He destroyed the briefcase!" Five explained.

"Yeah, the briefcase that he didn't know anything about, because you never tell anybody anything!" I shot back. "Maybe if you stopped being the smartest person in the room for five seconds you could see that maybe your siblings can help us!"