Chapter Six: Better Than You

Five went over to the window, opening it up. I decided not to question it as he stood aside and allowed my to go first, climbing out onto the rusty fire escape. I looked down to see a guy standing in a dumpster. At first, I thought he was homeless, I would know after all. But then I recognized him from my vision as the guy with the Umbrella tattoo. Another one of Five's siblings.

"Dang it, where is Dad's stuff!?" She shouted through his cigarette. "Shut up! I'm trying to find whatever priceless crap was in that priceless box so that Pogo will get off my butt!" I got the ground, Five not far behind me.

"I'd ask what you're up to Klaus, but then it occurred to me...I don't care." Five told him, jumping down beside me.

"Hey! You know there are easier ways out of the house, buddy."

"This one involved the least amount of talking. Or so I thought."

"Whose your lady friend, whose hijacking the ever-so-stylish academy uniform?" He asked.

"None of your business, Klaus." Five told him.

"Mary." I said, despite his response. 

"Hello," She said, a flask in his hand, "Well, other then Mary, you need any more company today? I could uh,...clear my schedule."

"Looks like you've got your hands full."

"Oh this? No, no. I can do this whenever, I'm just-" His words were cut off as he fell backwards into the dumpster. "I just misplaced something, that's all. Oh! Found it, thank God." He held up a half-eaten donut. My face contorted in disgust as he took a bite, gagging. "Delicious."

"I'm done funding your drug habit." Five grabbed my hand, pulling me down the alley to the van we had driven here last night."

"Come on. Maybe I just wanna hang out with my brother. Not you. Mi hermano. I love you! Even if you can't love yourself." I climbed into the passenger seat and found myself smiling.

"Thus far your family is...interesting."

"They're idiots." He said.

"Maybe. But at least you have one." I pointed out. He didn't acknowledge this, and I could only assume he'd heard it before. "So that was Klaus. Who were the other two?"

"Luther and Allison," He told me, "AKA Number one and Number Three. Klaus is Number Four."

"Aren't there seven of you?" I asked, recalling a vision I had last night. He nodded.

"When I came back Ben, Number Six, was dead and Vanya is Number Seven. I'm sure you'll run into her eventually, unless we're lucky and my siblings decide to leave us alone." I didn't respond to this, and we didn't say anything else until we got to the location where we would be spying on the guy from the lab. We parked, and watched as he walked into the building with a drink carrier full of coffee. I looked down at the floor, spotting a mostly empty bottle of Vodka. Then I looked at Five.

"Are you seriously drunk right now? Five, it's like eight AM-"

"No, I'm not drunk," He denied, "I'm working."

"This is about the eye thing?" I asked.

"Yes, this is about the eye thing. This is the place it was made...or will be made. We just have to wait."

"Sounds like a blast." 

"You're the one who said you would help me." He pointed out.

"Yeah, well I didn't exactly expect your excursions to go from department store gun fights to sitting in a van all day long." I said, smirking at him. He smiled back.