Empty Space III

Siyabonga

Thabile's POV

I heard a knock on the door and a pair of footsteps rushing to the door. "You two what did I say about opening the door?!" I yelled from the kitchen but my words fell on deaf ears

"Babazi!" I heard two screeches followed by laughter. My heart warmed at the sound. Small things such as this reassured me that I'd made a good decision letting Siyabonga back into the children's lives. They adore him and he loves them fiercely and he shows that everyday.

He moved out last month. We both decided that was best as not to confuse the children because we couldn't be living together whilst not actually together and he was well enough to live on his own. He also explained how he needed it to find himself and feel a sense of independence again. It broke my heart to see him leave, although it wasn't permanent I liked having him around it filled me with a sense of comfort but I felt it would be unfair to ask him to stay when I knew I wasn't ready to forgive him, in terms of our relationship as lovers. He broke me and it wouldn't be easy to let myself let him in and be vulnerable with him like that again. It took him forever to convince Sphesihle he wasn't leaving again.

He had to take them to his new house for him to be satisfied that he really wasn't leaving but just moving out. We have weekly turns with them , this is my week but he has the habit of coming to visit during my weeks, come to think of it he spends four nights over out of my week. He always leaves after they're both asleep and sometimes he helps with the chores around the house. I don't mind this because he's just rediscovered a relationship with his children I won't deny him seeing them.

He walks into the kitchen with both of them draped over him at odd angles. "Babazi I can't find my sweet!" Khanya announces making me glare at Siya, he just gives me a sheepish smile. "Khanya baby no sweets before dinner." I tell her and she looks to her father for him to defend her and my glare sharpens daring him to go against me. Sihle watching the exchange between us bursts out laughing at the petrified look on Siya's face.

"You can't have sweets now honey. I'll get you one tomorrow?" Siya says but it comes out as more of a question as he looks at me in uncertainty. I just shake my head and turn back to the stove. "Go wash your hands you two dinner's almost ready. Don't ru..." I give up as their footsteps rush out of the kitchen. I shake my head chuckling.

"How are you?" I hear Siya ask me softly with uncertainty. I turn to him and offer him a small smile. "I'm fine thank you. How are you?" He smiled at me but I caught a pained glint in his eye. " I'm good." He replied But we could hear the lie in his words. But we never got to dwell on them as our children came barricading into the room. "Look mama all clean!" Khanya exclaimed holding up her tiny chubby hands to me. " Wait let me see, I mock frowned kneeling to her level bringing her hands closer to "inspect" them, when they were close enough to reach I peppered kisses all over them making her laugh. "Mama stop!" She said between giggles. I stopped after landing one more kiss on her cheek.

I looked up and Siya was looking at us with eyes filled with adoration. I quickly averted my eyes. I never knew what to do with myself when he looked at me like that. It took me back to a time when we were happy and in love. Now, now I'm just afraid he'll hurt me again so I keep him at arms length.

*After dinner*
I stayed in the kitchen to do the dishes and Siya  gave them a bath and helped Sihle with his homework. Bath and homework time was much more swifter when Siya did it. It normally took me forever! He'd already gotten them both to bed by the time I got back from getting rid of the trash. I went to the living room and switched off the television whilst picking up the odd toy on my way to their rooms. I got to Sihle's room and was about to go in when I heard the conversation they were having. "Babazi I don't want to bath with Khanya anymore." He said softly. I heard Siya chuckle before asking why. " I'm a big boy now I shouldn't be sharing a bath with my sister."