Empty Space

Siyabonga

Today was the last day of high school. I should have been along with all my peers excited and nervous about life after school but I wasn't . I dreaded stepping onto the grounds of our school today. My eyes were puffy and stung with more tears . My parents have been worried about me since I came home from school yesterday. They could always tell I was hiding something from them just with one look but this time they did not question me or maybe they thought I wept for the friendships I was sure to lose after parting ways with my peers. Morning drives with baba and I were always filled with chatter or the sound of the radio with my favorite station on today it was filled with a depressing silence.

When the car finally made the dreaded stop in the parents parking lot at school. I mumbled a goodbye to baba as I pulled my school bag onto my back and walked slowly to the matrics lounge.

Luckily my friends and Siya, my boyfriend weren't here yet so I picked a table far from my peers and their excited chatter and settled on a chair and plugged on my headphones and drowned my sorrows in my music.

At 7:50 as per normal the door opened and Siya walked in with his twin sister Sbongile and they looked to be bantering as per normal. I watched as his eyes roamed the room and when our eyes met the smile wiped off his face and he made his way over to me.

"Hey baby . What's the matter?" He asked picking me up and placing me on the table and he stood before me. I'd taken my headphones off the minute he walked into the room and I was now fidgeting with them trying to hold back the tears.

"Siya  I'm sorry. Please don't hate me ." I croaked . I'd been crying so hard my voice was now hoarse. Despite my attempts to hold them back the tears rolled down my cheeks. "Babe wam' why would I hate you. You're the love of my life." And just like that he had me cracking a smile despite the tears staining my face. "Siya  I'm pregnant. I found out yesterday. I'm so afraid. Please don't leave me . I won't be able to do this alone ...Siy.." I tried to carry on but choked on a sob.

"Hey..hey. Shush . Don't cry ." He whispered pulling me into his arms and my body shook with sobs as I clung onto him. When I'd calmed down he gently pulled me away and cupped my face aligned it with his. " I won't ever leave you. Is the prospect of being parents at such a young age scary ? Of course it is but we have each other, our love and that'll be enough for the three of us. I love you and our baby. We were going to have babies any way we just had him a little sooner than expected." His words brought me comfort and my love for him grew that much stronger . "You're really fine with it?" I asked uncertainly. "Yes in fact I'm happy about it and I'll prove it." I looked at him confused and then he whistled getting everyone's attention. "Hey guys! I'm going to be a dad! " he announced. The entire room grew silent and then after a second someone began to applaud from a group of guys in the corner and then it spread to the rest of the room and then everyone cheered and began banging on the desks.

I chuckled at their behavior nestling my head in Siya's neck but glad they didn't shun us like I'd expected. " You know what? Marry me." He whispered. I carried on laughing thinking he was joking but the he moved my head and looked at me . " I mean it Thabile. I love you. I don't see myself loving anyone else but you so would you do me the honor of marrying me?"

Once again everyone was quiet this time in ancipation of my response. "Yes! I'll marry you a thousand times over." I squealed jumping into his arms.

----

That was seven years ago. Today we sat on either side of the table in our kitchen unhappy looks on both our faces.

We sat there for a long time both engrossed in our self destructive thoughts until he finally spoke.