THIRTY EIGHT

Today Nova was going back to New York to check up on Miles despite Axel saying that they should be traveling down south to see if they could control any criminal rates

Today Nova was going back to New York to check up on Miles despite Axel saying that they should be traveling down south to see if they could control any criminal rates. Nova at the moment needed time to herself. She knew Axel could get the job done without her, or at least that's what he would say.

Nova wore skinny jeans with a pair of white tennis shoes with a white lace top that she paired with a leather jacket.

She watched Miles from a safe distance playing basketball with his friends. He looked so happy, it made Nova smile at the sight.

"How long are you gonna stand there and just watch him?" Aaron asked, standing beside her.

Aaron was the only person besides Clint who knew she wasn't dead like everyone said so. She had been contacting him every week to check up on Miles.

Nova sighed,"Until I know it is the right time" she answered,"How is he doing so far?"

"Better now that his friends and my brother is back. He misses you, he thinks your dead"

"Everyone thinks that" Nova retorted,"Its fine, as long as he's doing okay I don't need to step into his life again. He won't need me after all" Nova assured.

"You're a stubborn dick" he said causing Nova to roll her eyes,"And you're a shitty loser"

"Aye—"

Nova shook her head, laughing,"I'm kidding, sorta." She glanced at her wrist watch knowing it was time to start heading back on the plane,"Until next time Aaron, I gotta go."

He frowned,"Already? You just got here though"

Nova shrugged,"I can't do much. I gotta head back to my job. I'll see you and Miles another time" she said, glancing at Miles one more time before she left leaving the man alone.

When she got on the plane to get to Barcelona, Nova met up with Axel and stayed at a fancy hotel to prepare for their separate missions. It seemed like that was her routine throughout the past four months which was to leave to a country, stay at some fancy place, and go do a mission, come back, and repeat.

Nova at some point began to lose her concentration and felt the need to get a break. She attempted to travel to different parts of the country by herself but it didn't work out. She wasn't able to sleep. She would just find herself continuing on with missions and live her life as a spy.

It lead to her thinking that maybe she needed to stop all this. That this life was finally catching up to her and she needed to stop. Live life like Clint who was retired.

And with the day approaching, Nova who didn't know what else to do for her birthday, was standing in front of her memorial stone that apparently her avengers team had made for her.

Axel stood at a safe distance watching the girl stand in front of her stone in silence.

Nova was beginning to rethink her life decisions.

She didn't know what to do anymore. She felt like it was too late to back out of the business when all she wanted to do was help people around the world. But she wasn't sure either on what she wanted from life anymore.

"You okay?" Axel suddenly asked, snapping Nova out of her thoughts.

"Yeah I'm fine" Nova easily said, staring at her engraved name.

"You don't look okay to me" Axel mused.

"Why, because I'm standing in front of my grave?" Nova questioned.

He nodded, that his hand went through his red highlights,"Must be hard having a to be dead"

That wasn't the hardest part. In fact that was one of the easiest things to deal with at the moment, Nova thought to herself.

"It's quite easy actually. Leaving the people behind because you lost them is the hardest" Nova answered. She then remained silent again. Her mind went back to all the deaths that were all her fault, Natasha, her Mom, and her unborn child.

Why did fate hate her so much?

"You know sometimes I wish I was given abilities to change the past instead of healing things" Nova admitted, she couldn't help but chuckle at the confession,"But we don't get what we always want."

"You gotta just learn to put the past behind you" Axel shrugged.

Nova looked to the guy who had his arms crossed,"Bad things happens and you gotta learn to just keep going and be better" he said.

As much as Nova didn't want to listen to him she knew he had a point. So she took in his words. She listened to him and with all these thoughts running around her head Nova at the corner of her eye noticed a person standing at a far away distance watching them.

"You should get going" Nova sighed, acting natural,"You have missions to get to" Nova stated. And knowing Axel wouldn't disagree he nodded and he left her in peace.

Nova calmly glanced to her right seeing a person there, yet she calmly questioned,"What do you want?"

She was instantly thrown off when another person was behind her. Nova winced when a sharp pain was at the side of her neck.

Was it a needle?

Nova growled, punching the person behind her across the face that knocked them to the ground with her dagger pointing to the person in front.

She widened her eyes, no way,"Ayo?"
Ayo held a look full of guilt as Nova's hand began to shake, her hand dropping the dagger as her vision suddenly began to spin. Nova shook her head as she stumbled back,"What did you do?" She slowly asked, unaware that her body had fallen into another generals arms. She couldn't keep her eyes open that her energy had suddenly disappeared with her seeing nothing but pitch black.