GIVE ME STRENGTH

"Njari, stop!" Nailah scolded, swatting her hand

"Njari, stop!" Nailah scolded, swatting her hand. Njari sat down at the kitchen table, groaning in annoyance. No one could eat their breakfast in peace. Today they woke up in a bitter mood. While it was easy to dismantle them, today they were inseparable, struggling to find a common ground. Nova's patience was getting thin.

"I didn't do anything. All I did was move your drawing!"

Nailah scoffed, almost hitting her with the pencil. Nova placed Azuri in the booster seat. His tiny fists banged on the bowl of papaya in front of him. "I hate you" Nailah pouted her lips to cry. Njari stuck her tongue out, angering the child. "Pussy face"

"Hey, hey, that's enough! Don't make me come over there" Nova warned. Nailah jumped. She lowered her pencil, apologizing. Njari avoided her mothers eyes, taking a forkful of waffles in her mouth. Their banter became more consistent. Was this normal? Nova didn't recall fighting this much with Natasha or Clint.

The knock at the door startled Azuri. His bubble arms banged on the table again. Njari laughed at this. Nova playfully rolled her eyes. "Who is it?" Nailah was curious. They never really got visitors, Nova was strict about it. She didn't want their location to be compromised, but thanks to Nakia, Nova wasn't confident that it was some tourist at the door asking for directions.

"Stay here, I'll get it" Nova assured, heading to the door. The knife in her pocket was loose. She took a deep breath. Nova opened it wide ready for the an attack.

Queen Ramonda stood in a simple white gown, with a traditional tassel wrapped around her head to shield from the sun. Her nude painted lips curled into a gentle smile, embracing her with an overwhelming aura of happiness. However, the eyes could not conceal the agony tormenting her. Nova lowered her head in respect.

"Queen Ramonda, I wasn't expecting you. Please, come in."

T'Challa's mother walked in, taking off her shoes. She slipped into a pair of sandals Nova handed her. "What a lovely home you have here" Queen Ramonda stared at the family portraits.

"Nana!" Nailah gasped, dashing into the living room.

Queen Ramonda kneeled down with joy. "Oh, my sweet Nay. Look at how big you have gotten!" Nailah was lifted into her arms. Njari came into the room holding Azuri, curious to see what the commotion was about. Her shoulders eased once she realized who it was. Queen Ramonda was the only one who knew the truth about her kids. This was the only way Nova could guarantee the safety of her family.  The Queens promises granted her permission to step away from the crown. "Njari, my, my, you are growing beautiful by the day" Queen Ramonda gently caressed her curls before landing her eyes on Azuri. She placed Nailah down before carrying Azuri. "Oh, Nova, he is his fathers son." Tears welled in her eyes.

Nova watched from the side with mixed emotions. Her smile was filled with glee, but her heart broke in two. This was yet another moment T'Challa could not be with them to witness.