TWENTY FOUR

"You know I'd make you guys dinner but you both look pretty miserable and clearly already have food" Steve's voice appeared

Nat got out Novas arms as Nova couldn't help but smile at the solider,"Steve" she greeted, getting up to hug him as he met her halfway and gave her grand hug that she missed.

"Are you here to do laundry?" Nat questioned, crossing her arms.

Nova let go of him as she sat on Nats desk,"I came to visit a friend" he answered, sitting down in front of them.

Nat held a small forced smile,"Clearly your friend is fine."

Nova sighed, looking down to her lap. No matter how much pain the two were in they never would they be the first to admit it. Nova hated that about herself but that was just her naturally.

Steve, who knew the obvious only nodded, licking his lower lip,"You know I saw a pod of whales coming over the bridge."

"In Huston?"

"Fewer ships, cleaner water"

"You know if your about to tell me to look on the bright side I'm about to hit in the head with a peanut butter sandwhich" she warned, making Nova crack up a smile.

"Sorry, force of habit"

Then silence had fallen on them. Nova bit her lower lip, as she was deep in thought about how they had turned up like this.

Steve sighed, breaking Nova out of her thoughts,"You know I keep telling everybody that they should move on, and grow. Some do but not us"

"If I move on who does this?" Nat retorted.

"Maybe it doesn't need to be done" he argued.

Nat darted her eyes at him, instantly shaking her head,"I use to have nothing, and then I got this. This job, this family.. I was better because of it"

Nova looked at Nat in sympathy. Nova knew that Nat had no clue about her actual family. This team was her only family and it meant a lot to her.

"And even though they're gone I'm still trying to get better" she said with her voice shaking towards the end.

"I think we both need to get a life, like Nova" Steve gestured toward the girl.

Nova shook her head confused,"You wish, as far as I know my life ain't anymore prettier than your guy's" she humored despite it being the truth.

"You start then" Nat chuckled to Steve,"And then you" She said to Nova.

Nova opened her mouth to comment but then she stayed silent when they noticed a notification, Nat swiped the holographic button away as it suddenly began to play a video, showing the front gate of the Avengers building,"Hello!? This is Scott Lang, we met a few years ago at the airport in Germany! I was the guy who got really big and had a mask on, you know Ant man?"

Nova got off the desk in shock,"Is this an old message?" Steve asked the two.

But Nat shook her head,"That's the front gate."

"But how? Wasn't he one of the people that vanished?" Nova questioned in disbelief.

So how was the guy here?

——————

After the three let Scott inside they led him inside the lab room where he began to pace back and forth, making Nova anxious that she felt like threatening the guy to sit down or she'd make him.

"Scott, are you okay?" Steve asked, causing the guy to finally stop pacing.

Scott nodded, putting his hands against his eyes, as it seemed like he needed a moment to calm down,"Look have any of you guys studied quantum physics?" He suddenly asked, making Nova confused.

"Only to make a conversation" she answered, crossing her arms.

"Alright so five years ago before Thanos I was in a place called the quantum realm. The quantum realm is like its own microscopic universe. To get in there you have to be incredibly small and Hope she's my..she was my..she was suppose to pull me out but Thanos happened and I got suck in there" he explained.

"I'm sorry, that must've been a long five years" Nat frowned, sympathetically.

"Yeah But that's just it, it wasn't" he said, making Nova's attention fully focus on him,"For me it was five hours. See the rules of the quantum realm isn't like how it is up here. Everything is unpredictable. Is that anyone's sandwhich? I'm starving" he suddenly questioned, hurrying to the sandwhich and immediately took a bite out of it.

"Scott what are you talking about?"

"So what I'm saying is time works differently in the quantum realm. Right now we don't have a way to navigate it. But what if we did? I can't stop thinking about it. What if we could somehow control the chaos and we could navigate it? What if we could find a way to enter the quantum realm at a certain point in time but exit the quantum realm at another point in time like—like before Thanos" he answered Steve.

Nova raised her eyebrow,"Wait, like a time machine?"

Scott sighed,"No, no, of course not. Not a time machine, this is more like a..yeah like a time machine. I know it's crazy, but I can't stop thinking about it. There's gotta be someone—it's crazy"

"Scott, I get emails from a raccoon. So nothing sounds crazy anymore" Nat assured.

"So who do we talk to about this?" Scott questioned the three.

Nova shared a look with her three team members knowing fully well who they could talk to about this topic.

But the problem was, would he be up for it?