Part 27: The Entries

~

"I think I might have a twin." Nine whispered, staring deeply into Five's eyes as she finishes her story. "And I think he's the reason why that happened back in the car, and how time travel's been badly affecting me somehow."

Five's reaction quickly softens, his hands gripping hers. "That explains a lot," he mumbled before leaning forward to give her a soft peck on her lips, "Do you think it's healthy?"

Nine frowns, "Why? Do you?"

"Just by your stories, it seems like he's feeding off of your energy." Five sighs, pulling her into his embrace. "I've been noticing some side effects, even from a few years back. Even after..." His words trail off as he closes his eyes.

"What do you mean?"

"I haven't been honest with you." Five admits making Nine's breath hitched.

"What...?"

Five gave her a reassuring smile, his thumb rubbing the back of her hand. "Well, years ago..."

~

(FLASHBACK)

"Cheer up, Number Five!" Klaus exclaims, slapping a hand on his brother's back. He laughs when he receives a glare from him. "Easy for you to say, Number Four," Five grumbles, "Nine is still away doing her training. It's been another two months!" he complained.

Klaus snorts, resting his arm on Ben's shoulder who tried pushing him away. Klaus grins at him, "She'll be back, just you wait. I heard Pogo say that they would be back after two more weeks if that makes you happy."

Ben nods in agreement and again pushing Klaus off him to continue reading his book. Five sighs, "It's just... I missed her."

"We know. You've been sulking for months now." Five turns to his right to see Diego munching on a sandwich. Diego waves his sandwich, "Mom said lunch is ready, by the way."

Five frowns as Klaus and Ben stand to their feet. "I'm not hungry." Five grumbles before warping away to who-knows-where.

(cont.)

"Why do you seriously have to lock her room?" Five grunts, rummaging through his father's drawers. "I need that key!"

Five groans in defeat, plopping himself on his father's desk chair. "Where did you hide it, old man? I need her scent." He complains to no one before sighing and warping all over the room in pure annoyance. "Where is it?!"

"Where's that damn key!" Five stops to stare at his father's self-portrait that was plastered on the wall behind his desk. He noticed something peculiar on the wall beside the painting. In a blink, he didn't hesitate on warping himself in front of the painting. "What's this?"

He slides his hand on the wall before jumping back in surprise as the portrait opens, revealing a small gold container inside. Five looks around the room and reaches for the container. He quickly opens it, hoping that he'll find Nine's bedroom key inside. He tilts his head, his eyebrows scrunching in confusion. "What the hell?"

Inside the container were a few messy notes that he didn't quite understand, pictures of two babies, and a diary with a number 9 encrypted on the cover. In curiosity, he opens it to find long paragraphs and timetables listed on each page. And what caught his eye was the words in bold letters, NUMBER EIGHT & NUMBER NINE.

"Who's Number Eight?" Five mumbles to himself, his head perking up as he hears footsteps stomping towards his father's office. "Crap." The boy cursed before hiding the book in his shirt, tucking the container inside the portrait, and closing it fully. He takes one look at the portrait above him and warped away to his bedroom.