Part 18: Another Round

~

(FLASHBACK)

Number Nine's P.O.V

"Five, could you stop? I'm really not in the mood."

Five stops kissing my neck and groans. "But, it's been five years! And I'm getting old. Darling, I'm 48 years old--we're 48 years old. Can't I get some action here?"

I looked at him oddly, "Is it even still working?" I paused, realizing the words that came out of my mouth. "Wait, that came out too straightforward." 

Five looks at me with an offended look. "Okay, ouch. Nevermind, then."

Suddenly, a knock was heard from the door. Five and I turned our attention to it, waiting patiently for whoever was on the other side. "Ms. Nine, there's a new assignment for you given by The Commission. They are requesting you to head to their office as soon as you can. Thank you."

"Oh thank god, a new assignment. I'm so sick of writing all day long." I smiled to myself, sighing in relief. Five gives me a look, then turns his attention back at the door, "Thanks, whoever you are. Oh, and she's a missus!"

I shake my head at him, "They don't know what to address me even if we're married, you know. We're both Hargreeves with numbers as our name. And remember the time they thought it was pretty weird dating your sibling?"

Five shrugs at me. "We aren't completely siblings, just siblings by name. Come on, Nine, we're adopted." I raised my hands in a defensive way, "I know, I know. I'm not saying otherwise since it's a fact."

"There'll be a time where we'll get to have real names," Five tells me, "But we are not keeping Hargreeves."

I rolled my eyes, "Of course, anything but that."

~

Nine looks over to Five who was seemingly focused on his work. Five gave her a side-eye, smirking in the process. She notices a woman checking over the boy, and Nine narrows her eyes at her but thinks nothing of it.

"Hi, Five, how's it going?" The woman asks the boy with a huge smile on her face. Five doesn't turn around to look at her and continues on his work.

"I must have utter silence in order to complete this task." Five mutters as he takes a paper from his typewriter and rolls it. "Oh, okay."

"Um, a few of us are having lunch, and I was wondering if you--you're doing something." The woman tries again but fails to have his attention. Nine snickers at her attempt, clicking quickly on her typewriter. Five clears his throat, signaling the woman to give up.

Five turns his attention to Nine, "Hey, honey, do you have that capsule with you?" Nine nods at him, opening her drawer to reveal the capsule, and hands it to him. Five sweetly smiles at her, "Thanks, hon."

Nine could feel the stare from the woman behind her head but ignores it. Nine types the last word on her paperwork and removes the paper from the typewriter. She compiles all her papers on the side and deep sighs. "That's one thousand pages," she mumbles to herself before turning her attention back to Five who stood up from his seat.

He nods at her, reaching his hand out. "Let's go." Nine takes it, quickly pulling her chair forward to her desk. She glances at the woman who had a fake smile on her face, "Okay, bye!"

Five carefully leads her outside their office area, clutching the capsule in his other hand. Nine looks over her shoulder to find the woman frowning at them. "She knows that we're married, right?" Nine asked the boy. Five hums in response, "Everyone knows. They did see the news."