32| The Unsettling Claim

Start from the beginning

Her lips brushed with mine, making a jolt of electricity run down my spine. I leaned in more, to take her in but she wouldn't make the move.

My hands now rested on her flawless curves, caressing upwards to reach her waist. I bunched up the material of her dress in my fingers, rather harshly, begging her to give me what I wanted.

A mischievous grin formed on her lips. She knows what she does to me.

But before I could devour her, she looked away teasingly.

Walking backward, and completely ignoring what we were doing, she smiled. "But this is my fight. I need to be a part of it."

Still stiffened, I replied. "You don't."

"You don't understand!" She argued, throwing her hands up and flopping down on the bed. "If anything happens to my friends, I would never be able to forgive myself!"

"And what difference could your presence possibly make?!"

She blinked several times, searching the void for answers. "I...I want to help. What if I could've prevented it? What if my presence could save a life? What if..."

This wasn't about the conference event anymore, was it?

I inhaled a good amount of air-conditioned air. Kneeling down in front of her, I held her hands. "Why're you blaming yourself for Aunt Vivian's death?"

She pushed back tears, biting on her lips vehemently. "She called me and asked me to come home early. I was out with my friends and...I ignored her. She was my only family. The guilt is killing me."

I couldn't do anything. When I looked at her, I saw a girl whose parents left her long ago. The world stripped her of her title and big bad men in suits made her life a living hell.

Exhaling, I sat beside her, placing my hand on the back of her head, bringing her closer to me so her forehead was resting on my shoulder. She snuggled closer, staying still. I could feel her heartbeat pulsing in her chest.

Don't cry Breanna, fight it.

I stroked her hair. "You're the strongest girl I've ever met, Bree. I'm yet to meet someone who went through all that you did and still stands up for herself."

I felt her smile in my embrace. Lifting her head up, we looked into each other's eyes for a while, my gaze dropping to her plum, inviting lips. She finally let me kiss her. Slowly at first, then I increased my pace.

It had been a whole day since I'd kissed her. I craved her taste. So I kissed her hungrily, angrily, gripping her hair in my fingers and pulling on them.

I felt my entire body react violently. A deep sadness invaded my heart, a sadness that I had very occasionally felt before. It pulled on my heartstrings painfully. I squeezed my eyes while kissing her.

Why was I feeling that? I thought I had everything under order.

Pulling away, I got lost in Breanna's blue eyes and I realized something.

What was the possibility that the plan would work flawlessly?

Worst case scenarios gushed into my head like a colossal tsunami threatening to wipe out a city. What if she died? What if it's Dylan or Damien? Or Phil? Or what if it was me?

What was the possibility that we would all make it out alive without any casualties whatsoever?

One. Just one.

I had never felt the weight of such a responsibility before. It was pressing me down, knocking me out of breath. Claiming that I was stressed was an understatement – I was losing my fucking mind.