Chapter 4: Deception

A blood chilling cry jerks me awake. I jump out of bed and grab my pistol.

Another wail follows. It's Pip. I scan the dark room for an intruder, but all I see is her sleeping in the corner. Sleeping? A nightmare?

I flick on the light and hurry over to her. I grab her sides and lift her to a sitting position. Her eyes open wide, and her wailing breaks into sobs. Before I know it, she's balling her eyes out. She's trembling, cowering away from me.

Crud. I need to calm her down, but I don't know how. I let go of her, but it doesn't help. "It's okay. You're okay," I try to reassure her.

It's not working. She's in a state and not thinking clearly. My sister had night terrors when we were kids. I try the same trick I used with her. I sit beside her and wrap my arm around her, leaning her against my side. "Shhh, you're okay. You're safe. Everything is going to be alright," I continue.

Her crying dissolves into quiet sobs. It's working. This is all too familiar. I remember those nights like it was yesterday. My childhood was rough, but it pales in comparison to my sister's. We were poor, and being poor means people take advantage of you, and it's worse for the girls.

We needed to get out of that house, so I convinced her to run away with me. I promised her she'd still be able to become a nurse, that she'd be able to go back to school. She agreed, and we left, but the horror stayed with her for years. Her nightmares were common. I tried to help, but the damage had already been done.

She's doing better now, but things are far from perfect. If I could just catch a break, I'd be able to give her the education she deserves. That job with Guppy was going to be it, and now it's ruined.

Pip goes quiet, and her breathing slows.

I look down to see a big-eyed tear-stained face looking up at me. "Feeling better?" I ask.

She nods. I'd prefer if she spoke, but I won't mention anything this time.

I help her lie back on the pillow, then pull the blanket over her so she doesn't have to struggle with her teeth.

I turn off the light and slide back into bed, with my mind still on my sister.

* * * * * * * *

My alarm wakes us both. It's 3AM. Time to get going. It's kind of amusing watching Pip try to sit up with bound hands.

I brush my teeth, then call her over. I get out the first-aid kit and unroll a bandage.

She freezes at the door. Her eyes are wide like saucers. She looks like she's seen a ghost.

"Pip?"

I follow her eyes to my belt. My handgun. "I'm not going to shoot you. Now, come here."

She hesitantly approaches.

I unlock her cuffs and begin unwrapping the old bandage. Her arm is trembling. I look up and am met with fearful eyes.

I sigh. "Use your brain. I paid a lot of money for you. Shooting you would be a huge waste."

It doesn't seem to help her nerves. Oh well, I tried. If she wants to be afraid of everything, that's her problem. Who on earth would shoot a slave they own? That's like throwing your phone at the wall over loosing a game. I specifically chose to use a shock bracelet to keep her in line because it has no lasting effects. I need her to be as healthy as possible if I want to get my money's worth.

Her wound is healing fast. I knew the cream would accelerate it, but this is even faster than I expected. It must be because she's so young. I wrap a new bandage around it.