Chapter 1: Cages

Content Warning: A character of this story is a victim of abuse. I do not condone the actions of any of the characters.

"Ten thousand Rens!?" I blurt out, "How can one human slave cost ten thousand!?"

"Sir," the receptionist says, "Our slaves are strong, disease free, docile and hard workers. Training them to such a high standard is expensive."

"That's garbage. I know people who've bought slaves for three thousand. You're asking more than triple that price."

"If whoever you met bought humans for three thousand, I can guarantee you that they weren't slaves, they were pets. Humans rejected for slave work are sold as pets. They aren't well suited for work. They're weak, often diseased and don't follow orders."

This is a disaster. I've been working almost around the clock, smuggling goods from one city to another, sleeping in shitty motels, all just to get back on my feet. I thought I'd finally caught a break with the money I've saved up. I was finally going to get my own slave. Then they would spend the whole day loading my truck instead of me. I'd finally have some free time. Now that plan's gone down the drain.

"Noted," I groan, leaving the store.

I storm through the mall, annoyed at this whole situation. A waste of time. A waste of petrol. I can't help but glare at the humans walking past. They're all wearing leashes and collars, held by their parbeing masters.

I honestly can't believe these creatures cost so much. We defeated them years ago. We crushed their pathetic civilization. We are the dominant species. Parbeings, the new and improved humans- No, the new and improved beings. As far as modern civilization is concerned, they're slaves. So why is buying just one human so expensive!?

I'm nearing the exit when a big red sign catches my eye – 'HUMAN PETS'. Is it worth my time? I've already spent the money on petrol to get here, so I might as well look.

I enter the store. It's lined with cages, each with its own human. I'd be lying if I said they were in good condition. I stroll passed them, inspecting each one. They don't look like workers, but that doesn't mean they can't work. Just because that slave trading company doesn't consider these humans up to their standard, doesn't mean they're useless. Also, I'm exhausted all the time. I can't keep living like this. I need a slave. I'll turn one of these pets into a slave.

I soon arrive at the till. "I'm looking for a strong human. One who can work. Do you have any like that?" I ask the shop owner.

"I sell pets, not slaves," he grunts.

"A human is a human."

"I've never heard of anyone buying a pet for slave work, but I won't stop you."

He leads me to a cage with a human male inside. He looks around twenty. Being five years older than him myself, it should be easy enough to keep him in line.

"This fine young man was only recently captured. He's grown strong from living in the wasteland."

"How much for him?" I ask.

"He's healthy and tough. If he was any better, I'd bet he'd be an actual slave."

"That's great and all, but how much does he cost?"

"Well I'm sure you've noticed that we have many humans in stock, so we're eager to sell. For him, a low price of only six thousand Rens."

"Six thousand!?" How the hell are these things so expensive? "Damn. Do you have other humans like him, except cheaper?"

"We have this one for five thousand. That one is three thousand, and the one to the left of that is four thousand." He points at various cages throughout the shop.