↳ oooovi

🃏

SIX

——KALEIDOSCOPE MINDS

EFFIE HURRIED HER WALK, ALTHOUGH NOT FAST ENOUGH THAT SHE WOULD GET OUT OF BREATH AND TRIGGER AN ASTHMA ATTACK.

"Walk with me," She muttered over her shoulder as she passed by Neville.

       Confused, but curious by what she could possibly want, Neville followed. Meanwhile, Effie cursed herself internally on a bender. Bloody hell, what was she supposed to say to the boy she hadn't talked to since they were seven?

       "I know this must be a stupid question, but everyone yearns to hear it at times. . . I think," Effie began gently. "Are you okay?"

       "Oh yes, I'm fine," Neville gabbled in the same unnaturally high voice. "Very interesting dinner—I mean lesson—what's for eating—"

       "Please do not lie to me ever again," Effie told him with a kind look, much to his puzzlement. "Since you don't want to talk about that, then let me entertain you with something else instead, take your mind off it—you probably don't remember me, the annoying, asthmatic kid who talked to you about—"

       "—the—the Rubik's cube," Neville finished for her. Surprisingly for his forgetful nature, that singular memory of her was distinct in his brain. "I. . . I remember now. It was—It was your uncle who treated my parents for awhile, right?"

      "Dad," Effie corrects with a small smile. "It was my dad."

       Before she could elaborate more, an odd clunking noise sounded behind them, and they turned to see Professor Moody limping toward them. The two of them fell silent, watching him apprehensively, but when he spoke, it was in a much lower and gentler growl than they had yet heard.

       "It's all right, sonny," he said to Neville. "Why don't you come up to my office? Come on. . . we can have a cup of tea. . . "

      Neville looked even more frightened at the prospect of tea with Moody. He neither moved nor spoke. Moody's magical blue eye whirred at Effie, "Join us, Stark."

       He probably did it for Neville's sake, which, to Effie's prediction, was correct. Neville's shoulders loosened at the prospect of having someone he (briefly) knew join him at the prospect of tea with Moody.

       Effie pressed her lips together, and gave a curt nod. Then Moody said, "You've got to know. It seems harsh, maybe, but you've got to know. No point pretending. . . well. . . come on, Longbottom, Stark, I've got some books that might interest you."