22 - STOP LOOKING

KAELYN WAS SIMPLY DOING HOMEWORK WHEN SHE GOT THE CALL

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

KAELYN WAS SIMPLY DOING HOMEWORK WHEN SHE GOT THE CALL. The clock was ticking past five PM as the girl was locked away in her room, eyes glued to her books. Since that night on the roof, she and Peter had begun to work things out. Part of her knew it wasn't going to be easy, but she appreciated the jumpstart. At least, now she had some reassurance that they were going to be okay.

The blare of her ringtone caused the girl to jump out of her skin, not expecting the harsh break in the calm music flowing through her headphones. Quickly, she unplugged them and answered the phone call.

"Hey, what's up, Peter?" she spoke normally, expecting nothing more than a call from her boyfriend. However, the boy on the other line was hyperventilating and freaking out. Before he even spoke a word, it was clear something was wrong. "Peter, what's going on? Where are you?"

"I went to stop an arms deal so I could get closer to the guys selling those weapons you know the ones from D.C. and, and, then something happened and the boat got torn in half! In half! I shot so many webs trying to keep it from falling apart, my arms hurt so goddamn bad, but then even that wasn't enough. It wasn't enough, Kae."

Kaelyn's mind immediately went to wonder if she had seen anything on the news about an accident with the ferry, but it had been hours since she even glanced at the television. "Peter, what happened after that? Is everything okay?"

"Everyone on the boat is okay, I think the guys got caught. Mister Stark came and saved everybody. Like he always does when I'm not good enough. He, he took my suit, Kae. I'm nothing without the suit."

Those words sent a sharp pain through her heart. She couldn't believe the ideas Peter had engrained into his mind. After a moment of silence, she spoke quietly, "I'm coming over."

"Kae, you don't have to-"

"Nonsense. You have done the same for me so many times. If you don't want me, tell me, but if any part of you needs me, I'm there," she cut him off, offering as much as she could. So much of her wanted him to want her, wanted to be there for him the way he was there for her so many times. Yet she knew if he said no, she was going to have to live with that.

He was silent. For too long. Years passed, it felt. Quietly, barely above a whisper, through the phone, she heard him say, "I need you."

Without another word, she hung up and grabbed her keys.

"Where are you going? I made dinner," Caden asked as she stormed out of her room, "Peace offering?"

She softened, appreciating the fact that her brother was at least partially attempting to make amends. He knew she was a sucker for pasta nights. "Can you put in a Tupperware? It's an emergency or else I would stay, you know I would."