03 - UNAPPROACHABLE

THE BOY WAITING IN THE BLEACHERS was an odd spot in the assorted crowd of jocks and cheerleaders

THE BOY WAITING IN THE BLEACHERS was an odd spot in the assorted crowd of jocks and cheerleaders. As Kaelyn was being lifted into the air, she saw Peter looking at her. To be fair, most people were when she was the only girl, a girl with bright red hair nonetheless, being lifted fifteen feet in the air. She tried not to pay attention to him, she had bigger things to concentrate on right now like not falling and breaking something. However, there was something about Peter that made it hard for her to look away. Maybe it was knowing his giant secret, maybe it was the impending study session that would reveal just how stupid she felt she was, maybe it was a lot of things. Her life was already interesting enough, she didn't need Peter's secret weighing down on her soul. Maybe she should just delete the video of Peter. Kae wasn't the type of girl to stoop to blackmail, especially not when what she was getting from Peter was something she could have just asked nicely for. Then again, due to her social status at Midtown, Peter wasn't just someone she could approach without whispers winding their way through the halls. Peter was too nice to interact with someone like Kaelyn. Her rightful place was surrounded by cheerleaders and rich jocks, not the little smart kids like Peter.

In her distracted state, Kaelyn learned the law of what goes up, must come down because she was falling through the air. She seemed to forget she was at cheer practice in her state of mind, but someone else seemed to forget to catch her as well.

Kaelyn fell from grace, ironically she did not fall gracefully. A few girls scrambled to catch her, but the most they did was lessen the pain of the fall as she hit the ground, half landing on one of her teammates. The wind was knocked out of her, but nothing felt broken, so that was a plus. A few girls were holding in giggles, but Kaelyn was fuming.

Being helped up by Beth, she brushed herself off and immediately whipped around to face her teammates.

"Someone wanna tell me why the hell they felt it best to abandon their post? I could have broken something!" Kaelyn shouted, hopefully embedding fear into the hearts of her fellow cheerleaders, "Who was it? Who let me fall? If no one speaks up, I'm making all of you run laps in your Keds and kill your calves, how does that sound?"

"Bitch," was muttered among the crowd, but Kaelyn did her best to ignore it.

Beth, standing loyally at the redhead's side, cleared her throat and announced, "It was that little brunette right there, I saw her step away, completely on purpose!"

The crowd cleared to reveal Brittany, one of the freshmen who was lucky enough to make it to varsity this year. Although she was only a year older, Kaelyn was the captain due to the fact she had been in cheer since she was about seven-years-old. Beth joined her a year later. Earning respect from the seniors and juniors had been hard, but the freshmen had always been terrified of her.

"What?" Brittany looked around at the other girls, hoping someone would claim it was them, but her hope was wasted as no one did. "It, it wasn't me!"