Chapter 59 - Outcomes

Start from the beginning

I found myself to be surprised with the fact that some boxes laid around the room as if they just started moving.

- "What's with the boxes?" I asked.

George was the one talking first.

- "Oh, just tidying a little. Either way... Did you need something?" He responded in a rush to get rid of the subject.

I found it weird but thought nothing of it.

- "Yeah, hum, Alix isn't really feeling well, I mean, comfortable in the house. I just wanted to tell you guys we are going for a walk or something. If possible, maybe I'll take her to dinner and we'll stay at the cottage tonight." I said confident they would not object.

- "Ok love, do you need money?" My mom asked now looking at me while George just nodded, both of them knowing Alix needed that distance from this place to be able to stay sane or at least keep some of the sanity she had in fact left.

- "No, I think we're good mom. Thank you. Ok then, we'll see you lat-" I said turning around but was interrupted by George.

- "Wait! Harley, I almost forgot... This letter came for Alix today. It's cause of her grandma's, hum, heritage... I think, It's from her lawyer." he said uncomfortable with all the mess that heritage had caused lately.

I simply took the envelope in my hand looking at it for a second and nodding silently.

- " Okay... I'll make sure she sees this.." I said slowly.

George simply nodded at me before I left their room.

Alix appeared in the hallway as she heard the door close and I quickly hid the envelope from her. I did not want her to read it in this place.

She looked at me weirdly and I smiled at her trying to put her at ease and pretend I wasn't scared about what was inside that envelope. She didn't need any more trouble.

- "Hey, you look weird. Is everything okay? Did something happen in there?" Alix asked me.

I rethought the decision to only tell her about the letter when we got out of here and she was calmer and oh well, you know, not in the place her dad was shot in weeks ago and decided it had been a good one, so I lied.

-"Yeah, everything is okay." I simply said.

Alix knew me better than anyone at this point and I thought she wouldn't believe me but lately she's just been so out of herself that she doesn't really get into things that deeply to realize what's actually happening.

She spaced out for a second before I grabbed her hand.

- "Oh, uhm let's go?" She said getting back to her senses.

I scrunched my face up with a forced smile, it's been hard lately, seeing her like this. She isn't herself and she's distancing herself from people in a weird way that I think no one, including her, understands.

- "Sure, but first get some clothes, your charger and toothbrush. I thought it might be good for us to spend the night at the cottage. If you want to, of course." I responded caressing her hand that stood in mine.

That made her smile softly and that was enough to warm my heart. It was rare seeing her smile lately.

- "I love your smile you know? It always makes me feel warm inside, specially if I'm the reason behind it." I said with a genuine smile on my face as well.

- "I love you Harley."

____________________________________

George's P.O.V.