Noah was quick with the process, his hands moving with the precision of a surgeon as he fixed her up. It wasn't until the bandage was secure that she braved another look into his eyes. Green as always, with yellows and browns mixed together like the leaves of fall. Standing on her tiptoes, she planted a soft kiss on his lips before smiling. "Thank you."

Her gesture seemed to mitigate his negative feelings a bit. "I hate that you got hurt."

"I know." Shay stepped forward and wrapped her arms around him, pulling his body close against hers as she buried her face in her chest. Noah hesitated before easing into it. His calloused palms were on her bare back, warming her. After pulling away, she lifted her chin up and kissed him again, this time with more force. It was her way of proving that she was fine, that she was here and wasn't going anywhere. He responded by bringing a hand up to her face, gently holding her cheek as he kissed her back. Before it got too heated, she pulled away.

"As long as I'm with you, no one can hurt me." Shay told him.

"His expression proved that he didn't believe her. Still, he said, "I hope you're right." Then he grabbed her hand and led her into his room. They laid together until the first rays of sunlight penetrated the thin curtains, lighting up the room and reminding them that the mission was now over.

Now they had to go home. And with the tracker still in her arm, Shay knew it was only a matter of time before this whole thing came crashing down on them.

*******

When they arrived at the mansion, Val was already waiting for them in the kitchen. Cup of coffee in hand with a sandwich in front of her, she looked to the great room as soon as the four of them walked in.

"Hey guys." She greeted with a smile. Her eyes landed on Shay and lingered there the longest, her grin wide as she realized that everyone was okay. "I take it the mission was a success?"

"We dropped off the killer at the police station and got a check in return." Summer reported as she handed over the piece of paper. Shay had asked what happened to the guy and despite being stabbed by him, she was relieved that he didn't die. This way, the authorities could get concrete evidence i.e. DNA to connect him to the previous murders. Then, Shay couldn't couldn't care less if he got the chair.

"Excellent. I'm glad to hear it." Val beamed.

"How did you and Eli do?" Noah asked. They were all standing in the kitchen now, surrounding Val as she put a pause on eating her sandwich.

"Good. We had a successful weekend as well." Val said. "I imagine you're all tired so you best get some rest. I'll see you for dinner though?"

Four heads nodded in confirmation. "See you later." Jon saluted as the four of them started to turn.

"Shay, may I speak to you for a moment?" Val asked.

Shay nodded and watched as the other three continued making their way to the upstairs section of the house. It wasn't until they were left alone that Val spoke.

"How did this mission go for you?" Val's voice was gentle and supportive, the motherly kind of voice that she seemed to only use around Shay.

"It was okay. A bit scary but I made it through."

"I only ask cause you tend to go head first sometimes. I wasn't sure if it would be too much for you."

Shay tilted her chin down and glanced away for a second "Sometimes I doubt my decision to be involved but I think it's the right thing to do. Plus I dunno what else I could possibly do with my life." Her urge to be a spy had been built more on fantasy than anything else. She remembered reading the books about secret agents and being fascinated by their lives, thinking that that's what she wanted to do too. It also was a way for her to feel like more a part of the family and it had worked in that regard. Still, she didn't feel like she was built to be a badass spy like the rest of them were.

"I can understand that the violence may not be your thing. But I do think helping people is what you've always wanted. Correct?" Val confirmed.

Shay nodded.

"Well if you want this to be the way you do it, I'm in full support of that. I'd also support you going off and doing something else, like maybe being a child counselor or a nurse. Whatever you want."

Shay knitted her eyebrows together in confusion. "But if I'm not a spy, wouldn't I have to live elsewhere?"

Val blinked, taken aback by what Shay thought was an easy question. She answered quickly though, making Shay think she had just imagined that reaction. "That is true, I just want you to know that I will support whatever decision you make."

"Thank you."

There was a pause before Val put her hands together and sat up straighter in her chair. "Now there's this issue of the tracker. I still haven't figured out the best way to get it out."

"That's ok. I have a meeting with Alec tomorrow so hopefully that will buy us more time." Shay had received a text from him this morning, saying it was urgent. Shay ignored it for a while before finally saying that she was busy until the next day when in reality, she just didn't want to go. Since they asked her for so much last time, she knew she would only have to do more from now on.

"Ok. Let me know how it goes."

"Will do." Shay said, then turned on her heel and went upstairs. Nervous anticipation overcame her as she thought about the day to come, what lies she would have to tell to buy her more time. But what if she was at the end? What if tomorrow was the day they finally gave up on her and she was thrown into jail? She tried to shove away those thoughts as she tapped lightly on Noah's door, wanting nothing more than to be in his arms.

"Come in." He called through the wood. Shay twisted the knob and stepped inside, shooting him a nervous smile before laying with him on the bed. She cuddled him in the way that she always did; head on his chest, hand on his opposite shoulder, and leg sprawled over him.

"You ok?"

"Just not looking forward to tomorrow." Shay replied.

"You're meeting with the feds, right?"

"Yeah." Shay admitted. "Hopefully not for the last time."

Noah's arm was on her back, rubbing her gently as he thought about what she said. "Is there anything you can say that will save you?"

"Nope. Even if I had proof of something, I wouldn't give you guys up."

That was the last thing they said about it. Shay just wanted to enjoy his company, to lay with him for as long as possible before the impending doom that was lurking close by took her away forever. The hypothetical clock of borrowed time was running out, and both of them knew it.

After dinner, she didn't sleep much that night for that reason and another less innocent one. Morning came quicker than she expected and soon, she was standing at Alec's front door, waiting to be let in.

When a stranger answered, and Shay saw Alec tied up behind him, all she could do was let out a scream before a hand silenced her.