Chapter 37

For the next couple of days, Noah kept his routine of working out and training, closing himself off from the rest of the world in order to concentrate on the task at hand. Shay tried to confront him a couple of times but he brushed her off, much like he did when she first came back. It was easier to keep his distance, to ignore the feelings that had been developing, to ignore the fear and vulnerability that overcame him whenever she was near.

If it wasn't for Summer following him around and occasionally chatting with him between workouts, the only conversations he would have had the past couple of days would have been with Jon when they sparred together. And since most of it involved ragging on each other, Noah could hardly call those 'conversations'.

"I think we get our missions tomorrow." Summer commented as she sat at the breakfast bar, watching as Noah cut up an avocado for his toast for lunch.

"About time."

"You think we'll go after Marconi again?" Summer asked. Like Jon, Summer was also keen on attacking the gang that pretty much owned Cori. Val was smart about limiting their hits on them though; if they struck too often, they might have an enemy.

"Hopefully not. It's too risky."

"I suppose." Summer played with a string of her black hair as she turned her attention to the great room. Someone was approaching them, someone with light footsteps that could only belong to one person. Back tense, Noah concentrated on his meal even when Shay's figure appeared in his peripherals. He had just laid arugula on the avocado toast when she was standing in front of them, the air tense and still.

"Hi." Shay said after a moment of awkward silence.

"Hey. You going for another run?" Summer inquired as Noah kept his head down. Even when he felt Shay's eyes on him, he refused to acknowledge her presence.

"Might as well."

"Yeah."

Another moment of awkward silence stretched between them before Shay finally left out the sliding door. Noah didn't look up until she was out of sight, her figure lost in the woods, giving him the distance he preferred.

"You can't ignore her forever, ya know." Summer was looking at him with utter disgust and impatience. Even though this hadn't been the first time he'd brushed Shay off in front of Summer, she thought it better to just let it be. Talking about Shay hadn't gotten them anywhere in the past, so it appeared that she would never bring it up again.

Until now, since he was being a giant asshole about it. Even he knew that.

"I know." Noah grumbled as he brought over his lunch to the seat next to her. Sitting down on the wooden stool, he took his first bite in anticipation of a much lengthier conversation than he was ready for.

He could feel Summer's eyes glaring at his stubble-covered cheek, the stare so intense that he knew she was trying to read him. She'd been giving him the same narrowed-eye look for the past couple of days, actually.

"You like her and you don't know what to do about it. Right?"

Noah didn't answer. Instead, he took another bite of his toast.

"Noah, it's obvious to everyone but you that there's something between you two." Summer said, exasperated. "It's annoying, actually."

"Sorry."

"Don't say sorry to me, say sorry to her. You've been a real asshole."

"I'm not the one who left." Noah's word were sharp, but Summer only reacted by getting more fired up.