Caribbean Dragon

It was the most incredible find of my career, but it was also nearly the last of my life. At the time, rowing a small boat across the clear blue waters of the Caribbean, I never thought I'd discover proof dragons existed. The massive skeleton was resting on the ocean floor, its skull larger than my boat. I realized I wouldn't be able to bring it back with me, and I'd need help to properly remove it from the water without damaging it.

My biggest concern was how to get the proper help without someone else laying claim to my discovery. If I'd been thinking beyond my own pride, I would've considered how such a perfectly preserved specimen could exist in the present day if dragons were extinct. I also would've considered the possibility that if dragons were present in the current age and the public didn't know about it, numerous people must be involved in a conspiracy to cover it up. I didn't think about it at the time, but I should have.

I should've known the secret existence of dragons, hidden from the world for over a thousand years, was a dangerous thing to try and reveal. I only found out later how threatening to my health it would be, for some of those dedicated to keeping the secret were not even human.

Author's Note:  Was one of 3 winners in the talesofthedeep picture challenge.

The other two winners were:  Liz_Lane and Nefelibatawriter03

Winning stories can be found here:

https://www.wattpad.com/727270803-writer%27s-lagoon-writing-prompts-2-winners