Breath of Air

Tyson stood in the shadows of the abandoned building and watched the children chasing each other and laughing in the park across the street. He closed his eyes and listened to the sound, enjoying the cools breeze that caressed his face. Moments like these were rare in his life, but he made an effort to seek them out for they kept his sanity, kept him from becoming a monster.

Most people didn't know about the sinister things crawling through the dark recesses of the world, and it was probably better that they didn't. Having fought the foul creatures for many years, Tyson was always in danger of being consumed by the darkness. Often times it felt like being underwater. Finding moments of peaceful contemplation were a breath of fresh air. Not only did they allow him to forget about the horrors he'd witnessed and the violence he'd been forced to employ, but they also let him see there was some good left in the world.

Tyson's fingers curled around the grips of hisweapons as he watched the children happily playing tag. This place was worth defending, and he'd diedefending it if necessary. His resolvestrengthened, Tyson headed back toward the fight. The war wasn't over yet.