9

Hiroshi had never thought himself as a romantic. He had always been the type to take a woman to a love motel, fuck her senselessly and then leave.

He didn't do cuddling, or mornings, or breakfast in bed. Let alone, in his own bed. But it was exactly what he found himself doing with Annabel, cuddling with her as they shared a traditional breakfast he ordered for them. Between bites of food, he'd stolen a few kisses and they'd shared laughs, talking about random topics as the time progressed.

He felt at ease with her, naked as the day he was born, not bothering in covering up until he remembered his Yakuza ink. He didn't have a full body tattoo, had never been interested in one but had gotten a quarter sleeve when he turned 18. It had hurt like a bitch, but he'd soldiered through it, not shedding half a tear or complaining during any of the sessions.

However, all Annabel had said was that she loved the intricate design and the beautiful colors, her fingertips smoothing over the skin as she looked up at him with a small smile, he'd started comparing to the rays of the sun.

"You do not have any tattoos..." he commented as they laid back in bed, reaching for the tv remote on his bedside table. She laughed and shook her head.

"I do not. But maybe it's time for my first one. Remember the temple? With all those origami cranes? That place moved me... I want to get one of those" she said, reaching for her the clutch she'd carried the night before and digging for her cellphone, showing him the pictures she'd taken.

He nodded.

"I know someone who does really good work if you want to do it before you go home..."

"Did he do yours?"

Hiroshi shook his head, subconsciously running a hand down his shoulder, the memory of who had given him his tattoos one he would never forget. It was not a right of passage for someone to get a tattoo such as his, one had to earn the privilege. And Hiroshi had gone out of his way to be allowed that privilege, bending over backwards to be a part of this so called brotherhood.

"No, but he does good work. And there is a very nice noodle place nearby where we can have lunch..." he said, nibbling on her earlobe as he talked, gripping her hip gently, pulling her closer to him until she was pressed against him.

"We have to stop at the hotel, so I can change my clothes..."

"That can be arranged."

****
She seemed pleased with the result of the colorful crane on her forearm, smiling widely at Riku the tattoo artist.

He'd been willing to squeeze her in after one call from Hiroshi, asking him to stop by after lunch, as he had time then. Which gave Hiroshi time to shower with her once they got to her hotel and then make love to her one more time before they had to shower again and hurry out of the hotel in order to make it on time for their appointment with Riku.

He'd met Riku accidentally, a Japanese American who'd never set foot in Japan until he was 22, at a karaoke place. Drunk and high out his mind, he'd been about to get robbed by some foot soldiers as he lay in a puddle of his own vomit, Hiroshi stepping in to stop them.

He didn't agree with taking advantage of someone who couldn't fight back, and hadn't even done anything wrong. It brought negative attention to the area and he for one, did not want to be mentioned as being in the vicinity and not doing anything.

Riku didn't know he was Yakuza or anything about him except how old he was, his first name and believed what he said about his job. It suited them fine as Riku seemed to have a Pandora's chest of secrets that he didn't seem to like talking about. Having built a solid friendship on those details in the 5 years they'd known each either, He knew Riku was trustworthy and therefore, he could meet Annabel.

He watched as they chatted in English, Riku laughing as they shared a memory of New York, Hiroshi sure he'd never seen Riku talk to anyone for so long. He scowled in his direction when they made eye contact, his friend frowning before he pulled away from the tattooing chair and held out a hand for Annabel to take. Helping her up, he thanked her politely for letting him ink her and walked her over to him.

To him she was the loveliest woman he'd seen, dressed in a bright mint colored t-shirt dress and white sneakers, her dark hair held back by a headband printed with bright yellow pineapples.

"What do you think?" She asked as she held out her arm, the happy smile on her face making him smile for some unknown reason.

"Very cute. Very you" he said, gently rubbing a thumb down the rest of her arm, watching her for a reaction. He chuckled when she immediately clamped her legs together, pulling her close before he was tipping her chin up and brushing a simple kiss against her lips and pulling away.

"Time for lunch, as promised. Then we can have instagram worthy desserts" he promised with a wink, laughing as she let out a happy squeal of delight, clapping her hands before she was taking his hand in hers, threading their fingers together as they left Riku's shop.

"Also, I may have some information about your friend. But— I make no promises. We have to wait."

She nodded in understanding, squeezing his hand and mouthing out a thank you as they walked through the crowded streets. He'd dressed down for the occasion, more than he normally would, to blend in with the crowds. In a simple white tee, ripped skinny jeans and all white Air Max sneakers, sunglasses shading his eyes, he even felt touristy as he walked with the woman next to him.

He felt the pang in his chest as the thought occurred to him; this was what he had been missing. Someone to do cheesy things with, discuss every day topics with, lend his clothes to and make her smile by giving her simple things like a paper crane tattoo to memorialize her trip to Japan.

"Now every time you look at the crane, you will think of your time here..." he murmured as they sat waiting for their order. She nodded in agreement.

"I'll think of you."