Chapter Nineteen

As soon as the week had started, it had ended. In preparation for the first interscholastic meet, Jia and I contacted all the news stations we could think of. A couple of them even asked to interview us prior to the meet. Mr. Reynolds seemed to be bubbling with excitement because of the press coverage. Usually the boys and Jia were the only ones that got interviews for the Westbrook Insider.

"How do I look?" He asked us as he adjusted a red bow tie. I squinted at him before covering my freshly pampered face with my newly manicured hand, "Can you please wear something else?"

Jia joined me as she adjusted her hair, "Yeah Dave, It's not like you're twenty-one or something. You're like thirty." Alex chuckled as he leaned back in his chair while scrolling through his phone. Mr. Reynolds put his bow tie in the drawer and pulled out a shiny, gold tie. He looked professional today. It was weird.

"This is weird. You're weird. Oh my gosh, this is actually going to get on the news? We're worthy of being watched?" I started to realize. It finally hit me in the face about all the progres we made. It felt like a dream. My track jacket started to warm me up and I took it off, revealing my muscular arms.

Alex sat upright and waved his hand, "Don't worry. It's not that big of a deal. I've been on the news plenty of times," He got up to stand next to me, "You'll do just fine."

Jia glossed her lips and quadruple checked her eyeliner. If anyone could wear makeup before sprinting a 100 meter dash and beating their previous record it would have to be Jia. She was the captain after all. She would have to look presentable.

As I watched her, I noticed how pretty she was. This doesn't mean you can't be pretty too, I thought to myself. Two girls could be on the same team and look equally as pretty as the other. I made sure to use the reflection of my phone to adjust my own hair and gold necklace. Mr. Reynolds made sure Alex's tie was in place and nodded at us to head out to meet the different reporters.

Waiting for us in the auditorium were different reporters, news stations, journalists, citizens, and students. To the left of us in the crowd sat the team. Melody and Khalil were entering from the other side with their original coach, the same one that expressed that he missed Alex when we went to visit. His face reminded me of that day and why we pursued the project we did. The face of struggle and the face of success.

Mr. Richardson stood at the podium and greeted everyone. He gave a small speech talking about how and what the program was, who the people were, and what it meant to the school to have the press coverage.

Alex whispered over to me, "Aren't you happy? He's talking about it!"

I smiled while whispering back, "I couldn't care less what he has to say. It's not like he was the one that truly cared about what we were doing. All he cares about is his money." Alex and I posed for a few cameras to our right and sat upright in our chairs. He didn't reply to my comment but just lightly put his hand on my thigh under the table before quickly moving it back to his own lap.

"It is with great pleasure to introduce you to one of the primary individuals that has contributed to the Chosen program and a phenomenal student as well as athlete, Ema Muratovic." The small but roaring crowd had offered me the most applause I'd ever heard. It was as if I was on stage accepting an award but there was no award. There was only the steps toward a better world, a better Westbrook, and that was a big enough award for me.

"Thank you and good morning," I started with a clear voice. I looked at the sheet of words that I struggled to type together the night before or rather the morning of. I'd only gotten four hours of sleep. It was a miracle I was still able to stand. I looked at the paper and watched as the letters jumbled together so tightly I couldn't read. I touched my necklace and then decided to fold the paper, praying that the words would come together naturally. I looked at Jasmyn in the crowd and smiled, "I want to first thank all the people that have come out to support all of us today and all the other moments we needed them. You are very important to the Chosen program and to me."