Prologue

It was all a dream, supposedly. The child that sleep bore. But when it became apparent that it wasn't just a dream, my whole world flipped inside out.

I was but a child myself when my consciousness was clutched by the other world. When I opened my eyes, I was in a foreign land, inside a beautiful forest. In front of me was a stone statue, covered with moss and unrecognizable. It was confusing because I could remember my mother was just tucking me to bed after a wonderful party of my sixth birthday. Now, I was suddenly in a very alien but magical forest straight out from fairy tales.

My little self was very much confused. I sat down, looking around, trying to swallow everything in for a few moments. Maybe an hour or so, before a boy around my age appeared beside me. That boy later became my best friend, but only in the dream world, for I could not access my memories in the dream world when I was awake.

Yes, it was just a dream, so how could it turn out this way?

The dead bodies around me were of those I held dear, though mostly were of our enemies. Darkness closed in around me. The smell of blood assault my nose, and all over me, all I could see was red. My surviving companions were fighting hard against our enemy, as did I. But still, it pained me to see how some died for this cause. I did not know if I would join them soon or if I would be strong enough to defy death.

The gun in my hand felt heavier than usual. I shot the last ammunition at an upcoming enemy, then I dropped it down. It was of no use to me now. Instead, I picked up one of my fallen companions' thin swords and unsheathe it. The sound of the drawn blade was like a sliver of hope to my ear.

Hope that I could finish this pointless fight, even if my life had to be the price. []