04. A Proposal

When I arrived at Umehito Sashiro's house in Seika, I was pleasantly surprised to be met by Kenichi. "Kenichi, what a surprise! It's been ages since I saw you!" I kidded.

As always, Kenichi didn't get the joke. He just rolled his eyes at me. "I saw you earlier, Gee."

"Well, it has been a long day," I grinned. "So did you volunteer to be my personal escort?"

"Of course not. Gibson asked me to meet you here," said Kenichi stiffly.

"And he just happened to choose you, of all people?" I teased, enjoying bothering him like I always did.

"It was either me or Priestley," Kenichi pointed out. "Me, him and Gibson are the only ones on the force that even know this case exists."

That made sense. They were trying to keep the whole serial killer thing a secret after all. The less people who knew, the better. I just hadn't realised it only extended to Gibson, Kenichi and Chad. But that aside, Kenichi was a total buzz-kill. He always liked to ruin my fun. Especially when it was aimed at him. I couldn't imagine why.

"Well, in that case, I'd definitely take you," I joked. Kenichi rolled his eyes again. "But in all seriousness, thanks for earlier. Going back to Gibs today was probably the best thing I could have done."

Kenichi shrugged like it was nothing. "Do you want these keys or not? I haven't got all day to be waiting for you."

"Course I do." I snagged the keys he was dangling in front of my face. "Keep your pants on."

Kenichi snorted. "I'll wait for you out here."

I raised my eyebrows. "Are you sure? It's getting dark and it's kinda cold out. I'm probably gonna be a while in there."

"I'd rather risk the cold than be in there with you talking my ear off," said Kenichi.

I laughed. "Don't flatter yourself. I have work to do. I won't be wasting my time talking to you."

This was my usual kind of banter, so Kenichi knew better than to take offence to anything I said. "Well, that's what you're doing right now. So get in there before I shove you through the door."

I just laughed again. "Have fun out here with the owls," I called over my shoulder as I unlocked the front door and let myself in.

I could tell straightaway that the house hadn't been cared for in a while, even before the murder had happened. Though I guessed an unemployed, middle-aged man probably wouldn't be very interested in cleaning and tidying.

I happily fell back into my inspection routine. Now that I was on my own again, I had plenty of time to myself to mull things over. Of course there was one main thought on my mind – L... I was actually working with the world's greatest detective! Man, I sure was glad I'd stayed persistent and managed to claw my way onto this case.

I did wonder why L had taken up the job. You didn't hear his name much in the media. He only took on the real big cases. This was hardly a big case right now – only a handful of people even knew about it. Was this really just a favour to Kenichi?

Well, regardless of why he'd taken up the case, I knew I had to try my hardest to make a good impression. I had to investigate these latest crime scenes as thoroughly as possible. Obviously I generally tried to do that anyway, but now, I was going to seriously work my ass off.

Looking at the lounge alone, I could tell that there had been a lot more disturbance here than at the previous crime scenes. All of the furniture had been moved around. There were multiple indents in the carpet, showing that the forensics team hadn't quite put the furniture back in the correct places. It was a pretty big lounge – it must have been one heck of an altercation to have affected so much of the room.